What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hangar construction in NW WA?

Rick RV-4

Well Known Member
Hi folks,

Looking to get a 40' x 55' hangar built in 2017 (in Sequim, WA). Anyone have any recommendations on a builder and/or company? I've talked to Impact and R&M Steel buildings, but neither company is local.

Thanks,

- Rick

You don't need the hangar maker to be the builder or to be local. I know there are many steel buildings in your area of WA.

My hangar in Tucson was a Metallic one. Designed in CA, beams welded in Houston, framing, panels and doors/windows shipped from Phoenix and erected by a crew from Sierra Vista. The slab was poured separately by a local home builder who had an empty week slot to a local civil engineers design - who was a local chapter EAA member. :)

Any of the well know hangar guys can simply ship you the materials along with a design. Your local building code guys can use the engineering supplied with the hangar to define the slab and a local crew experienced in metal structures can follow the plans to erect the building.

A quick internet search comes up with many local erectors.

http://www.yellowpages.com/sequim-wa/structural-steel-erectors

PS We like Sequim, my wife's late uncle and aunt celebrated their 75th wedding anniversary there. Are you at Sequim Airport with the narrow runway?

Hangar steel

I purchased my building from World Wide Steel.
https://www.worldwidesteelbuildings.com/steel-buildings/aircraft-hangars/

They are an AOPA partner and give (at least they did when I purchased mine) a 10% discount to AOPA members. Very satisfied customer. I believe they are headquartered in the MidWest.

My first experience with another steel building provider did not go so well. I walked away from a $5000 deposit to avoid doing business with them. I didn't do my homework. So internet search any steel building manufacturer before you make any deposit.

Thanks!

Thanks Gil and Jim,

Yes, we are at Sequim Valley airport . . . 40' wide asphalt and 50' wide grass strip on the side. It should keep my skills up if there's ever a good crosswind!

We are actually going to build on the airpark attached to the airport (Discovery Trail Farm airpark), and hoping to start construction this summer or fall.

Thanks again!

- Rick

Thanks Gil and Jim,

Yes, we are at Sequim Valley airport . . . 40' wide asphalt and 50' wide grass strip on the side. It should keep my skills up if there's ever a good crosswind!

We are actually going to build on the airpark attached to the airport (Discovery Trail Farm airpark), and hoping to start construction this summer or fall.

Thanks again!

- Rick

It's a nice airport, used it a few times.

Perhaps you could just talk to the local steel building guys and see whose buildings they use. If you look inside any hangar it seems like the all use the same CAD design software.

I found a good test was to ask the building guys about a Horton Stack door. If they knew about them, then they knew about and could build steel structures with essentially no wall along one side. :)

Check you local codes for the required spacing of the main cross beams. Here it is 25 ft so the most cost-effective depths for hangars are in 25 ft increments. If it's 20 ft in your area (do you have snow loads or is the "banana belt" exempt? :) ) then you might find a 60 ft deep hangar will have only a small cost increase.

Stack door

Hi Gil,

As a matter of fact, I am planning on using the Horton stack door. :) I'm assuming you're talking about the accordion style door you open by hand, and has the opaque "lets light through" attribute. My neighbor two lots down has that door and he seems to really like it.

Gracias,

Rick

Back