What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VFR waypoints

JackinMichigan

Well Known Member
I'm currently planning a VFR flight, and on the VFR chart there's a number of small red flags scattered about the area I'll be flying thru. These are 'VFR Waypoints' according to the chart key, but they're supposed to be accompanied by a 5-digit identifier starting with 'VP' (i.e. VPKRG - I just made that up). However, none of these flags that I'm looking at have an identifier. What are these used for? How will I identify them from the air?

Below is a link to a SkyVector screen grab of an area just north of Flint, MI. I've circled seven such flags. This is my first time trying to link a picture to one of my posts, so I hope it goes thru.

tinypic.com

My understanding is that they are used when planning to enter class B or C airspace while VFR. They're usually an airport or easily identifiable object a pilot can use to notify ATC of their position.

Your pic:
10n9xj4.jpg

AiHHhQOl.jpg

Last edited:
And the names for those check points are the underlined words. Springfield, for example, in the chart image above.

Yes, the VPxxx ones are most likely in your aviation GPS database and can be set as flight planning waypoints.

The rest of them would probably have to be added as User Way Points., which might be worth it for your local ones.

I found the VPxxx ones very useful navigating the LA Basin airspace.

Back