What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Landing light help

Rob H

Well Known Member
I've switched to the iS configuration and want to wire another landing light for the left wing. I already have the LL installed in the right wing, using Aerosun from Vans lighting kit. I'm getting ready to pull another wire to the right LL. I think it's called the sync wire for wig wag. Currently, the red, black, and yellow wires on the back of the LL are being used and the blue and green wires just have terminators on them. Looking at the Aerosun schematic, it seems the sync wire connects to the green wire in the right LL and the blue wire in the left LL.
I want to get the wire pulled, connected, and get the landing light on the right wing buttoned up. I don't think Vans has a specific add on kit, parts list, or instructions yet.
For those of you RV12ers that have dual LL, am I safe to pull one more wire, connecting to the green lead on the right wing? If I am correct, which position would the sync wire be in the blue plastic connection at the wing root as there are 2 open positions available? (Older 12's have a different connection at the wing root) Thanks

I'm in the same boat I also order the lighting kit (less the nav lights), I have begged and pleaded with Vans about getting the wiring schematic for the 12iS, and even called Steinair and they directing back to Vans. So you can do what you will, but I have made the decision to wait for the builder instructions and or wiring schematic before I start the mode on the left wing. I was told late October for the builder instructions.

Ok, thanks David. I sent a detailed email to Van's also with lots of questions. I will probably hear back this week. I'm assuming I'll get the same response, be patient. I will be too busy with work the next two months anyway, but was just trying to finish these minor details.
I know they are busy and will get the information out eventually! :) Best of luck to you.

Rob ...

I installed a second landing light in my left wing because I too wanted wig-wag operation. In addition to running the power and pulse wires to the additional landing light, all that is necessary to obtain wig-wag operation is to run one wire from the right light to the left light and there is room on the blue electrical connector on the wing for the extra circuit.

You will just need to run the landing light power wire to the red wire going to the left light ... this is the steady on. The pulse wire from the panel switch is wired to the yellow wire going to the left light ... power on this lead places the light in the pulse mode. To make the lights wig-wag in sync a wire needs to be run from the master out of one light to the slave in on the other light. It does not make any difference which light you choose to be the master as long as the wire is run to the slave in of the other light. Because the right light is the standard light in the RV-12, I choose to make that light the master so ran a wire from the green wire on the right light (master out) to the blue wire (slave in) on the left landing light .... this is what makes the lights wig-wag in sync whenever there is power applied to the yellow wires (pulse) on both landing lights.

In addition, because of the current limitation of the 912ULS, I choose to add a switch for the left landing light power so when the standard panel switch is in the landing light position only the right landing light is on. Should I decide to fly at night, I can flip the switch for the left landing light on short final to turn it on and then turn it off when on the runway.

My builder blog at the WEB address below has a search feature (scroll down the right side). If you do a search on wig-wag or landing light you will see lots of photos of the wiring along with pin outs I used at the blue connectors on the wings/fuselage.

Last edited:
I added the second light to my build, was an easy job. If I recall correctly, there comes with the light a very easy to follow wiring diagram for adding the extra light and making it wig wag..

John, thanks again. You've answered my question. I just didn't want to seal up the landing light again if I don't need to. Wanted to make sure I do it right the first time.

John-G is building EAB and is probably 99% correct, But what if Vans added something new that we did not expect. For that 1% reason I'm just going to wait until I have the written instructions. It's the A&P in me don't really like doing things without written instruction.

Thanks David, I agree with you, but I went ahead and pulled another wire, connected to the green lead on the right LL, and closed up the light/lens. In my case, I'm a grain farmer getting ready to be busy harvesting for two months and don't want to have left over loose ends to figure out when I resume building in November. Fingers crossed, hope what I did is right. If not, I can fix it later.
I still need to finish the left wing including install of lights in left wing, angle of attack, and finish wingtip and half the skins. So I will have something to do if the iS fuselage hasn't arrived by then. Best of luck to you in your build. I hope you get your fuse kit sold!

Interesting as I have crate date of November 20 as well. I ordered it the first morning at Oshkosh after two hours of discussions and looking at the Rv-12 iS. Was hard decision as I'm just finishing the current fuselage build but the fuel injected engine and all the other mods sold me. I had just got the finish kit too and am hopefull most of it less the cowling and wire harness will still be useable. I'm going to add the other light in the wing so I have that and AoA kit I bought to work while I wait. I'll wait for instructions from Vans for the landing light since I'm building ELSA.

Back