What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Whelen power wire question

abuura

Well Known Member
What size wire have other builders used to power their Whelen (Model HDACF) strobe PS? I'm more than a little confused by AC 43.13-1B, ch11's computation method, which is what Whelen's instructions send you to. My math says 16AWG is sufficient for 12ft to the bus and 9ft to the ground bar. Recommendation?
Thanks

Wiring Selection

I'm building a -9A (changed from -6A). I have Whelen strobes/nav lights as well. I'm looking at my wiring diagram (not at that stage, but have spent a great deal of time contemplating and calculating). I chose 16AWG with a 10amp breaker to the power supply. (The unit came supplied with a cable which is routed to the strobes themselves.)

I don't recall how I ended up with the values in my diagram but I'm CERTAIN they are conservative. If after all your best mathematical calculations you're still uncertain, go to the next larger wire size (i.e. 14 awg) and keep the same breaker. I think if you did this to EVERY wire in your aircraft the weight gain would be negligeable (2lbs? 5lbs?)

Check out Bob Nuckols sight: http://www.aeroelectric.com/. He's got a great source of info he calls the AeroElectric Connection ($35 I think with free upgrades.) It answerd ALL of my questions including many I hadn't thought to ask.

I hope this was of some help.

Good luck. Build Strong. Fly Safe.
Fred Magare

Last edited:
Back