What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need help on electrics

abuura

Well Known Member
In am starting to install the front deck, and in a couple of weeks the finishing kit arrives. I got the electrical harness and instructions from Van's, which state that installing this wiring as a starting point is appropriate to most panels and accessories. I am building an IFR RV7 slider. I have the AeroElectric Connection, and diagram Z-12 of Appendix Z appears to be pretty much what I need.
First issue is, after I install the front deck and Van's electrical harness do I follow Van's building sequence and proceed with installing the canopy or do I rough in the instrument panel with assorted harnesses to the 430, Grand Rapids EFIS 1, and other avionics before installing the canopy and windscreen? Second issue is, does Van's basic electrical setup mate properly with the single battery, dual alternator setup outlined in diagram Z-12? Is there a lot of adapting of this diagram to Van's setup required? Is there a resource out there for electrical diagrams that someone very un-electric smart can use to build an IFR system that mates with the Van's harness?
I would appreciate answers to these questions as well as any guidance from builders who remember the anguish of tackling the electrical system and the solutions they discovered.
Thanks.

Apples and Oranges?

abuura said:
I am building an IFR RV7 slider. I have the AeroElectric Connection, and diagram Z-12 of Appendix Z appears to be pretty much what I need...............does Van's basic electrical setup mate properly with the single battery, dual alternator setup outlined in diagram Z-12? Is there a lot of adapting of this diagram to Van's setup required? Is there a resource out there for electrical diagrams that someone very un-electric smart can use to build an IFR system that mates with the Van's harness? Thanks.

I have no exact idea what you need but one thing that stood out, is you mentioned Aeroelectric and Van's wire harness. Hummmmmmmmm that might be a problem. Both are fine but there is some different philosophies and would be careful mix-N-matching.

I don't have Van's diagram in front of me to give specifics, but guess that you will either need to modify the harness (a lot) to match the Z-diagram or modify the Z-diagram to match the harness? I am 100% sure Van does not allow for dual anything. I think Z-11K is closer to what Van's harness is. Even then it is not a match. Bob like fuses under the cowl for example.

Also Z-12 shows B&C alternator and regulator. :eek: Chance is you may want to consider the plane-power alternator Van now sells for $375 (complete kit), which is about half the cost of B&C. Just a suggestion.

When Bob N. wrote his Z-diagram he did not consult with Van; in fact Bob N. has some unique takes on how to wire a plane. Not bad, just differnt. Van's set up is simple or "traditional" (ie one battery one alternator). There is nothing that says you can't mix-n-match, but it will take some knowlege and thought, really nothing too hard.

I might suggest starting from scratch? I mean if you want dual alternators and follow Bob's design you may be better just buying bulk wire and connectors and making your own harness. It is not hard and you will learn a lot. Actually there is no avoiding learning.

Again I have no idea what Van's supplied harness is but have a good idea. I also do have a good idea of what Bob's diagram looks like. HERE is the beauty of building. You will LEARN. You will not be an electrical neophyte when you get done. You're going to learn one way or another.

Here some questions to ask yourself:

Why dual alternators? Would a good solid battery not last 30 minutes to may be 2 hours alone? Do you need the weight and cost of a second alternator? How many single engine IFR planes are out there with two alterantors? Remeber weight is something you have to carry even on a sunny VFR day. Nothing wrong with it, but just something to think about.

My best suggestion is write Bob N. direct and Van's and ask. If you have to modify the harness too much, start from scratch.

G

Last edited:
I concur....

George is right on this one - Van's wiring harness is extremely simple, and very basic. It works fine for a simple airplane, but if you're doing anything like one of 'Lectric Bob's drawings, you'll be better off starting with raw wire and building it yourself.

Paul

Thanks George and Paul for your responses. That helps a lot. I am getting the Mattituck alternator with their O-360 and was planning to put an SB-8 on the pump pad since it will be available. I'm with you on saving weight, however. Will hit the books since the learning curve is getting steep quick.

Been there

abuura said:
Thanks George and Paul for your responses. That helps a lot. I am getting the Mattituck alternator with their O-360 and was planning to put an SB-8 on the pump pad since it will be available. I'm with you on saving weight, however. Will hit the books since the learning curve is getting steep quick.
You're are welcome. Don't feel bad we where all there once. Really we are all students with this electrical stuff. If you are using the alternator that comes with the engine it's a internally regulated ND alternator, which is excellent. It's easy to connect and they are light, powerful and reliable. As you get caught up on the learning curve there will be lots of help. Also don't feel bad about the harness, everyone has to modify it anyway. G

Last edited:
Back