What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Are these holes reserved?

UnPossible

Well Known Member
xelw2h.jpg

Trying to figure out if the hole along the side wall on the spar right ahead of the step and the corresponding hole just under the rear wing spar are reserved for running something particular?
I am figuring out how to route the AC hoses forward and this looks to be a good path.

I've reviewed the plans and can't seem to find any callouts for these holes, but want to double check so that I don't paint myself into a corner in the future if I use these holes for an AC hose now.

Thanks,
Jason

Last edited:
Yes, they are part of Van's wiring harness routing (OP-37).
However, you will need far more wires aft than Van's shows so conduits under the baggage floor will be more useful...:)

Thanks Gil -

I've already got a bunch of conduits going from behind the flap cover to backside of the baggage bulkhead.

Unless you can think of a good reason why I can't use the indicated holes for an AC hose and route the wires in the conduits behind the flap cover, I am going to go forward with the plan.

Jason

Last edited:
1) Too small for hoses, you will have to enlarge them anyway.
2) Your hoses will have to pass over the main spar.

Best to keep as straight a run as possible and leave plenty of room for the hoses and their end fittings. Hoses will need to be replaced down the road, so make it easier for yourself. Route them high so they are accessible with the side panels off. Because the openings are so (relatively) large, I made a modified aft panel behind the rear seat brace to accommodate the opening through the baggage bulkhead and also trimmed the rear compartment cover back there. The rear of the panel only had to be moved inward enough to cover the hose penetration and there was still plenty of room to make screw attachments for the rear compartment cover where it had been trimmed. I initially only got grommets big enough for the hoses before I realized my error and got ones big enough to accommodate the hose ends but there was plenty of edge distance on the bulkheads going forward, with that aft side cover at the rear being the only interference.

Rather than trying to make a whole new cover, I simply moved the aft end of the existing cover inboard and drilled new holes for the attachment to the baggage bulkhead and floor. This left a gap between the panel and longeron at the top, which I filled with some sheet aluminum to make a new top flange for the panel, which was drilled to the panel's old top flange. Then I trimmed the excess old top flange before riveting the new top flange in place. It looks natural and doesn't steal much baggage space, maybe 100 cubic inches or probably less.

Sorry, the pics in my kitlog (7/23/2015 entry) aren't very good. I'm reworking the fuselage after my incident with a lift failure, so it will be awhile before I can retake photos of that area.

You most definitely will need more holes

Before you install the seat pans. Do you want 5 pt or 4 pt rear seat harnesses? If 4, then don?t install the crouch strap bracket.

Back