What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sikaflex Canopy

wirejock

Well Known Member
She has a canopy. Sikaflex was fun. Edit. Moderators, would you move this to "Project Status" please.
7AWb2qxl.jpg

Last edited:
Right behind you

I cant imagine the stress reduction this completion provides.

I figure I will be there before the end of summer. I am glad you are posting your experience. Thank you.
Anything you would do differently on the canopy?

Sikaflex

I cant imagine the stress reduction this completion provides.

I figure I will be there before the end of summer. I am glad you are posting your experience. Thank you.
Anything you would do differently on the canopy?

John
Short answer, no. Long answer, Sikaflex is awesome stuff. I compiled everything learned along the way. My blog is the resource. I saved lots of threads and documents on a Miscellaneous Tips page plus everything will be detailed on the Finishing page as it goes. The Tips will be purged at some point because everything I learned was applied to the project. It's up to date but review the postings on the main page as well.
Hope it helps.

Looks great. I wish I had painted my canopy frame black, as you did. Going to be a pain to do it now.

Powder coat

Looks great. I wish I had painted my canopy frame black, as you did. Going to be a pain to do it now.

Actually, I ordered the canopy weldment parts bare. Everything was fit then they were taken to a local business for powder coat. I got the color I wanted with net zero weight gain.:D

Did you actually mount and finish the windscreen first? Don?t know your experience but on mine I had to do a lot of frame adjustment and shimming to fit and match on both parts. Rear canopy frame was about 1? too wide and had to be pulled in. To work I had to combine riveting and Sikaflex due to clearances or lack of. Reguardless it matched up well once fiberglass was completed.

Windshield

Did you actually mount and finish the windscreen first? Don?t know your experience but on mine I had to do a lot of frame adjustment and shimming to fit and match on both parts. Rear canopy frame was about 1? too wide and had to be pulled in. To work I had to combine riveting and Sikaflex due to clearances or lack of. Reguardless it matched up well once fiberglass was completed.

Scott
No. Windshield is next but the canopy is purposely left a bit high. I shaped my canopy frame so the final dimension would be correct. I missed by maybe 1/8" too narrow but it drops in place and slides just fine. Roll bar was shimmed to match the canopy. Next will be riveting the forward skin so the windshield can be done. I can still cut the canopy legs to match the height of the finished windshield or shim the roll bar up.

Back