What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 Service Bulletin Flap Acctuator Rod end

Ericjump

I'm New Here
Hello, I'm working on a friends RV-8 (I'm a A&P and IA), he gave me a Service Bulletin (07-4-12) concerned with Securing the electric flap actuator rod end. Can anyone help me out with this one? The drawing in the SB shows a round flap actuator. The one on this 8 is hexaganal and smaller than the drawing, I don't see any way (no room) to drill a hole in the rod to secure with safety wire. Has anyone complied with this SB?
Thanks in advance.
Eric

G?day Eric,
The rodend is the one on the top of the flap actuator (unlike the drawing in the SB that shows it attaching to the flap torque tube).
Refer RV-8 drawing number 79.

The standard flap motor supplied in the kit has a round shaft. The only portion that is hex is the jam nut for the rod end. Could it be that small hex portion that you are thinking of?

In the diagram on the left side of the SB the hex shape of the jam nut is apparent. It shows that the safety wire hole is to be drill in the small area between the flat on the jam nut and the edge of the shaft. The hole is to be drilled at an angle so that it exits the side of the motor shaft and only catches a bit of the corner (visible in the second view on the right side of the page).

If the motor you are working with does actually have a hex shape on its entire length, it is not a motor supplied by Van's

Back