What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bought a constant speed prop for the -9A

Ed_Wischmeyer

Well Known Member
Found a good deal on a Hartzell in a prop shop, fresh overhaul, AD-free, all that. Van's just got an order for the spinner, governor, bracket, and cable. Hopefully that's all I need, and I've got a good supply of hardware for the little stuff.

Expectations:
* Much better takeoff and climb performance because I'll get all 160 HP instead of 70 - 80% power that I get now;
* Better descent and shorter landing with more prop drag. And with less float in the flare, I might change my crosswind landing speeds -- right now, if I increase speed for winds and gusts, I just float longer;
* 2700 RPM redline vs 2600 RPM with the current prop;
* Less fussing with power in up and downdrafts, both X-C (think west Texas) and on an ILS.

Nothing wrong with the Sensenich prop that's on there now, the new prop is just a different compromise.

BTW, the Sensenich prop has about 600 hours and is in great shape. It, and the spinner, will be for sale after I get the c/s on.

Merry Christmas to me! and to all y'all,

Ed

Do you expect any cowling work?

I like my Catto three blade, but I'm thinking that if I could do it over I would install a constant speed prop.
After 600 hours I'm finally learning how to avoid too much float!

We have always loved ours. Having that little bit of warp drive sure does come in handy sometimes (often!).

CS on RV9

I put a Whirlwind 151 CS Prop on my -9A 2 years ago . . . wow, its a different airplane now. I had a WW Ground Adjustable prop which was also great - but the CS has many advantages. I am running an IO-320 with high compression cylinders and dual P-mags - probably putting out about 170HP - Amazing take-off and climb, super smooth (3 bladed prop) and my high end even improved a knot or two. I can come into the pattern at 140kts (if no one in front of me) - slow to 80kts abeam the numbers, put in full flaps and set up for a nice stable landing over the fence at 60 kts. Very pleased with this upgrade . . .

Right Crankshaft?

Ed, I have the Hartzel CS on my O-320 in my 9A.
Do you know if you have the right crank for CS?
I had to change out the crank to one with the cross tube on front
end of crank. Without cross tube in the crank, power changes caused
major rpm surges.

Been there done that

You will love the change to CS. My opinion it is a perfect fit for the 9 with it's wide speed range. I made the swap with my 9A back in 2008. Swap should be a no brainer with cowl matching up perfectly but there appears to still be governor installation issues. You will note more nose weight but well within range and you can then never go aft CG unless you greatly exceed baggage weights.

I miss the CS so much that I'm building a 7A now that I have a medical back. I'm currently doing the governor installation on the 7A. Do note that the VA-153 governor control bracket, unlike the rest of van's kit does not fit. After 10 years or more out there you still have to egg out the holes to mount and the governor arm is too close for the attach hardware specified. It is well documented here on VAF. I have put in a question to Vans for their solution before I modify or build my own bracket as many others have.

I've often wished I had a CS prop on my -9A with IO-360. How are ya'll dealing with the extra poundage on the nose? Dan from Reno

Love my CS!

You can get close to 100% of the possible HP. Don’t forget about loss of HP with altitude. At my field I can get 92-93% at TO.

Last edited:
Congratulations, Ed- you are going to love it!

I know you ordered a governor from Van?s, and that is fine, but I?d encourage anyone making the conversion to CS to at least consider the PCU5000. It is beautifully built, lighter in weight, and a real performer. Mine can effortlessly maintain full pitch with the prop windmilling power-off at approch speeds. This is pretty important on most RV?s(less so with the 9?s), to maximixe the engine-out glide performance. I?ve heard mixed reviws on this capability with other governors, but of course excess internal leakage around the high-pressure section of the crankshaft will make any governor look bad, so who knows...

I've often wished I had a CS prop on my -9A with IO-360. How are ya'll dealing with the extra poundage on the nose? Dan from Reno

I traded dollars for pounds and got the carbon-fiber Whirlwind, as well as moving all remote-mounted avionics and the ships battery back behind the baggage bulkhead.

Back