What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vinyl Over Old Painted Graphics

dmat

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Ok guys, I am thinking about sprucing up the old simple paint job on my RV with something newer. My current paint job is the 90's thin line on fuselage which then opens up to cover the vertical stab.

Has anyone done this before? I'm trying to come up with a simple design which I can keep the white which is still in decent shape but still giving it a new look.

Pics would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
D

Vinyl will transfer any blemish beneath directly through. Do not kid yourself. It will not hide a thing. I'd even argue that it might make any blem seem magnified.

In other words, you'll still see any paint line. You'll have to block sand it smooth to avoid a potential unsightly disappointment.

Also, light colored vinyls aren't always 100% opaque. You might get some shadows showing through too, although it is less likely if you are using top quality vinyl.

One last thought, you want CAST vinyl, not calendered vinyl. The calendered vinyl will be much more apt to shrink and crack on aging. Ugh. You don't want that on your bird. Ask the shop if you're having it made somewhere, or simply buy a premium cast vinyl if you're a DIYer.

Last edited:
Vinyl will transfer any blemish beneath directly through. Do not kid yourself. It will not hide a thing. I'd even argue that it might make any blem seem magnified.

In other words, you'll still see any paint line. You'll have to block sand it smooth to avoid a potential unsightly disappointment.

Also, light colored vinyls aren't always 100% opaque. You might get some shadows showing through too, although it is less likely if you are using top quality vinyl.

One last thought, you want CAST vinyl, not calendered vinyl. The calendered vinyl will be much more apt to shrink and crack on aging. Ugh. You don't want that on your bird. Ask the shop if you're having it made somewhere, or simply buy a premium cast vinyl if you're a DIYer.

Couldn?t agree with this post more. The vinyl is not something to use for cover up. Unless your doing the same graphic in a different color.

It will print through just about anything, dust a hair etc..

Back