What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IO360 M1A running ethanol mogas

morganjp

Well Known Member
I was reading the Oct Sportaviation magazine article about the Technam P2010
They talk about this engines ability to run on mogas with up to 10% alcohol.

1. How do they do this?

2" Can we modify our 360's to do the same thing?

John Morgan

I don't think the engine would have any problems with Mogas and 10 percent ethanol. (assuming compression ratio allows). The problem is vapor lock and ethanol damaging rubber in the fuel system.

If your fuel system were built to withstand ethanol you should be able to run it just fine. My aircraft runs on MOGAS with ethanol but I have a Subaru engine and fuel system components that are ethanol compatable.

-Andy

I have a 7 with TMX IO360 that has used mogas with ethanol for approx. 400 hrs no problems.

Jim

In MN I can get non-oxygenated gas that is 92 octane and has no ethanol. I used it in my motorcycles and small engines. The gas is about $4/gal compared to $5.30 for 100LL. That ought to solve the rubber problem. Changing to non-ox completely cured my '98 Yamaha Virago ethanol disease.

Does anyone have any experience with using non-ox?

mogas with ethanol

Search for "frankh" he built the airplane and designed the fuel system no mechanical pump one elec. pump in each wing root. Works great

Jim

Back