What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron tube boot installation ?

rv9aviator

Well Known Member
Now that the weather is getting cold I am noticing a pretty good draft down at my left side which I assume is coming from the hole where the aileron tube goes through the fuselage. I have the aileron boots from Flightline interiors but haven't installed them yet. I have been told some people have installed them on the outside of the fuselage by taking off the wing root fairing and some have installed them on the inside of the fuselage by taking the seat pans off. Does anyone see an advantage or issue with one way or the other. Thanks

i purchased them from aero designs where i got my interior and installed them on the inside. they were easy and i am sure effective although i installed them at assembly so i had nothing to compare them to. good luck!!!

I installed my Flightline boots on the outside, because it was easier access. They work fine that way.

Jim Berry
RV-10

I think I will put them on the outside too. That rubber strip can be tough to get back in straight but soapy water makes it much easier.

Well here it is a year later and I still have some cold air coming up through the stick boots, around the manual aileron trim lever, and on the sides of the seats. I installed the aileron boots but cold air is coming in from somewhere else. I think some is coming from the flap arm holes in the fuselage. My wife is not a big fan of cold air coming in. It is hard to explain to her that an airplane like this is not going to be like riding in her Lexus. Any ideas? Thanks:)

Well here it is a year later and I still have some cold air coming up through the stick boots, around the manual aileron trim lever, and on the sides of the seats. I installed the aileron boots but cold air is coming in from somewhere else. I think some is coming from the flap arm holes in the fuselage. My wife is not a big fan of cold air coming in. It is hard to explain to her that an airplane like this is not going to be like riding in her Lexus. Any ideas? Thanks:)
....Well Jim, if all else fails these guys have a sure fire fix, "Asian Introductions Inc." (Mail order brides). last resort of course...:D

Last edited:
There is a pretty good sized hole at the spar shear web as the spars enter the cabin. I have not closed them off yet, but will do as the next sealing task. I already have homemade aileron boots in place (from the inside).

Great Allen

....Well Jim, if all else fails these guys have a sure fire fix, "Asian Introductions Inc." (Mail order brides). last resort of course...:D

Is this going to be a new product from you?
I can't wait to see the video that goes with this.;)

Kent

Back