What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Empty weight of RV-9A

Alex_K

I've weighed my completed and painted RV-9A. Its empty weight is 1190 lbs. I've been quite unpleasantly surprised. So, the maximum empty weight stated by Van's is 1075 lbs. Please, share by your experience with the weight of RV-9A.

sized_IMG_4442.JPG

Last edited:
Just two weeks ago my 9A weighed in at 1104 - unpainted but including unusable fuel. (the latter admittedly isn't much ... < 1/2 lb or so)

Yes, Van's published empty weight is 1028 lb - 1075 lb. I assume it is the range when you build using the options they suggested. With mods, interior, paint you may add different amount of weight to it.

My 9A has two 860 batteries, FP prop, interior, and paint. It weights 1155 lb. You are not much more than mine.

My 9A came in ALL UP with paint and full Classic Aero interior and zero fuel at 1107. I also have the ECI IO-340 but do not have the constant speed prop. I would say the constant speed prop and all its components are contributing substantially to your increased empty weight. Also I note your picture does not show your main gear wheel pants. They should be installed and included in your calculation. They will add some weight to your final number. Another note, make sure you have your canopy closed (slider or tip-up) in the flight position. Having the canopy open would not necessarily alter your overall weight numbers but it can drastically skew your weight you would see on the nose gear and ultimately affect your CG data. Ok, go ahead, ask me how I know. :eek: Another observation, it looks as if you have cowl plugs in place for the air intake and possibly in the air inlets behind the prop. I am sure these do not weigh much but, none the less, should not be in place when you weigh the plane. After all you do not fly with them so make sure they, along with any other items you would not be flying with, are not on the airplane (i.e. gust locks, etc.)

Last edited:
Another observation, it looks as if you have cowl plugs in place for the air intake and possibly in the air inlets behind the prop. I am sure these do not weigh much but, none the less, should not be in place when you weigh the plane. After all you do not fly with them so make sure they, along with any other items you would not be flying with, are not on the airplane (i.e. gust locks, etc.)

I fly with mine - where do you put yours? I pull mine on preflight and throw them in the baggage compartment.

Weight

Mine, fully painted, basic interior with seat and carpets, no side panels, very light composite panel (dynon glass, with ipad, av80r and v10 comm), catto prop was exactly 1100lbs all done. I cant see how anyone can build it lighter than I did really.
Now mine is true weight with fire extinguisher, belts etc etc all in the plane as it would be for flight. No cheating.

I have heard rumour of people saying they are 1050 etc...simply dont believe it.

On the other hand, many builders are so worried about a pound here or there would be great...simply eating a little less would be the easiest way to lower the gross take off weight! :D

I fly with mine - where do you put yours? I pull mine on preflight and throw them in the baggage compartment.
Well, I knew I should have gone into more detail about the observation. Yes indeed they would be in the baggage area so just like my comment about the position of the canopy being open or closed, this will affect the CG calculations more so than the overall total weight. Additionally, as I suggested in my original post, these should not weigh very much anyway so not too sure how vital the difference would be.

Having said all of that, I still believe it better to not weigh the airplane with cowl plugs in the cowl openings. Put them in the baggage area if need be and weigh the airplane then. The weight & balance measurements should be made in the flight configuration not in the hangar storage configuration.

...On the other hand, many builders are so worried about a pound here or there would be great...simply eating a little less would be the easiest way to lower the gross take off weight! :D

Rick really hit the nail on the head when it comes to discussion of TRULY gross weight. :D

Mine was 1084 lbs. Have IO-320, fixed pitch, no paint, fairly full electronic panel and probably a couple pounds too much of Bondo and flox. Heavily applied paint can add a whole bunch of weight. I was hardly fanatical with weight control, but still surprised that, unpainted, I came in higher than the painted prototype.

Mine is 1068# with an O-320 and a Catto prop, unpainted. Panel is dual dynon's D-100 and EMS-120, SL-30 and GTX-327. Flightline complete interior and crow belts.

I have a little mod to the baggage bulkhead to accomodate golf clubs. Other than that, it's standard.

(Mine is an RV-9, so add 15 pounds or so for the nosewheel. Just thought I'd add the data point anyway.)

I did two different weigh-ins with two different sets of scales:

Original W&B: 1054# (included a 19 pound crushplate I thought I was going to need.)
2nd (and current) W&B: 1037# (included new 4 pound crushplate that better keeps my c.g. centered.)

These weights do not include my fire extinguisher, tool kit, or headsets. Add about 5-7 pounds for these.

Also, I am unpainted and seat cushions are my only interior additions. Panel is intentionally light with only a D180, gps, tx, Icom-A210, intercom, a few switches, and a backup ASI and ALT. 2-blade Catto rounds things out.

I intentionally built light, so I was pleased to come in right at Van's numbers on both weigh-ins. The biggies though are that I don't have the heavier nosewheel and I'm unpainted.

Last edited:
Mine came in well, even with full paint (single color w/vinyl, no clear coat) and Classic full interior. It weighed in at 1054. Things that helped: small battery, Catto prop, glass panel, and carbon fiber canopy (saved about 10 lb IIRC.) The paint was very light, but full coverage. Other savings were anodized ribs (no primer) and all around attention to weight. I was happy. It is now 1064 with the addition of a 430W and a few other things.

Here is mine.

1134 lbs. IO 320 CS prop standby alt. Painted with flightline enterior, 4 way electric trim, full EFIS panel & AP.

Kent

weight of each piece of airframe?

I would be very interested in the weight of each piece of the airframe. Any builders that have a scale and could weigh the

VS
HS
Rudder
Elevator
Wings

and could post the weight, that could be helpful. My first attempt at closing the fiberglass tips was too heavy for me so I cut it all out and did them a second time. I think that is where you could add a couple pounds without realizing. I think there are too many variables with the fuselage to get an accurate weight, so that would just be a guess.

What type of a scale would work best? A hanging fish or meat type scale? This could be very informative and help us all keep the weight down. Before and after painting of each piece would be good too.

RV9 Empty weight

Mine's a '9 taildragger. Before paint, but including interior (carpet kit, seat cushions) 974 lb. Now that it's painted and I don't use front carpet, it's 995 lb. Includes wheel pants, fairings, but not extinguisher or tool kit.

Simple panel: D100, steam ASI, Altimeter, 495, Icom 200, Xpdr. Wilksch WAM 120 turbodiesel, MT hyd CS 3 blade prop.

Kurt Goodfellow

I would be very interested in the weight of each piece of the airframe. Any builders that have a scale and could weigh the VS, HS, Rudder, Elevator, Wings

Some time back, someone posted a weight of 58 lbs for all the tail feathers. I can't recall if that was for an RV-7 or an RV-9.

9A came in at 1157 with dual fully redundant electrical system, including 2 Odyssey batteries and 2 alternators. IO-320 (was FADEC) Full interior with 4 color paint scheme, Catto 3 blade and full panel. There is no way the plane can be loaded out of CG. It's just a question of how much fuel you go without when fully loaded to 1750.
Treadmill weight is not included.

N91RV was recently weighed again during my condition inspection in June. Empty weight was 1146. Painted (base coat +clear coat), fully faired, empty tanks, IO-320 w/ Whirlwind ground adjustable prop. Full CLassic aero interior, dual AFS glass panel, SL30, 327, ADS-B UAT, 2-axis auto pilot, APRS and some analog back up. Fire extinquisher. Very difficult to be out of CG. 1750 gross limits baggage or fuel if 2 big guys up front. Me and my girl - no problem full tanks + 50 baggage!

My tip-up taildragger started life unpainted with an O-290-D2, Catto prop, dual P-mags, lightweight starter, manual trim, interior by Rustoleum, Dynon D100 EFIS & D10 EMS, Garmin 496, iCom radio, G320A transponder, fire extinquisher, and two place stereo intercom. The empty weight for the first flight, including the fairings was 990 lbs.

Over the years it has gained some weight. The O-290-D2 was replaced with an ECI O-360 with tapered cylinders and the accessories from the 290 were moved over to the new engine. The cowl was replaced with a Sam James Holy Cowl. It was painted, leather side panels from Classic Aero were added, and I insulated and carpeted the floor. The Dynon D100 EFIS, D10 EMS, and transponder were replaced by a single 10” Skyview and a two axis Dynon auto pilot was added.

The new empty weight, as she currently flies is 1068 lbs. A little heavier that I would like but I’m very happy with the utility and options I have included in my build.

W&B Observations

My 7A and most I have seen sit nose high and require about an inch under the main scales to level. I know this won't effect the empty weight, but will render W&B info useless.
It looks by the camber angle of your main gear that you placed the plane on the scales with a jack, if that is the case you should roll the plane back and forth on the jacks to relax the mains. The side loads on the jacks could reduce accuracy. Gene

I've weighed my completed and painted RV-9A. Its empty weight is 1190 lbs. I've been quite unpleasantly surprised. So, the maximum empty weight stated by Van's is 1075 lbs. Please, share by your experience with the weight of RV-9A.

sized_IMG_4442.JPG

I noticed from your picture that wing root fairness and wheel fairings are not installed. Are they included in your weight. Also, when I weighed my 9a, I had to block the main gear up about an inch and a half to level the plane. That made a significant difference in the distribution of weight between nose gear and mains. Hence a big shift in CG.

Was your plane leveled for weighing?

Mine was 1071 lb.. IO320, Dynon 180, classic aero seats on Vans foam with Classic baggage and forward carpet. Sensenich FP. Polished with all fiberglass parts finish painted. All fairings installed and 8 qt. oil on board. Headsets were on the seats. I don't think that 1075 is a Vans max wt. They give a range, but of course they don't load their demos up with a lot of stuff, and I believe that Van's philosophy is simple and light.

I would be very interested in the weight of each piece of the airframe. Any builders that have a scale and could weigh the

VS
HS
Rudder
Elevator
Wings

I weighed some of this stuff using a nice fish scale and a bathroom scale for the wings. Keep in mind I don't have some of the parts for the wings installed yet. ie push-rod and control surfaces. A good fish scale always adds a few pounds when measuring fish and subtracts a few when measuring airplane parts...

all internals primed, no fiberglass, lead counterbalance installed
Right elevator = 7.2 lbs
left elevator = 9.0 lbs
Vertical stab = 7.5 lbs
Rudder = 8.6 lbs
Horiz = 19.7 lbs

Left wing = 51.0 lbs (no flaps, no ailerons, no tips.)

SbWUHl.jpg

This wing with both skins was weighed.
Jtbuil.jpg

Last edited:
It looks by the camber angle of your main gear that you placed the plane on the scales with a jack, if that is the case you should roll the plane back and forth on the jacks to relax the mains. The side loads on the jacks could reduce accuracy. Gene

I didn't use that jack. I lifted the wing up by my back and used assistance of my buddy;)

Thank you guys for your kind response to my question and for valuble information! It's seemed I have the heaviest 9A. Probably there is a lot of stuff inside my bird and it's painted heavy with a good layer of lacquer.

sized_IMG_4430.JPG

sized_IMG_4435.JPG

Now, I have to scratch my head well to decide what could be thrown out of the plane:confused: I don't know...

Last edited:
Don't feel too bad. My 9a with a Subaru engine weighs 1187. The builder used 1850lbs for a gross weight. Having a heavy airplane is not ideal but yours looks beautiful and will still perform very well. Enjoy!

-Andy

Videobobk,
In your post you mention using a carbon fibre canopy. By this do you mean you used cf as an alternative where fibreglass would normally be used, or is there more to it than this?
Thanks.

Your plane is beautiful

You have a beautiful airplane and you will enjoy it a ton. The weight is what it is so go fly safely. Have you upgraded to the lightweight starter?

N942WG came in very light at 1047 pounds with paint, sparse interior, virtually seat and back cushions only, Lycoming O-235, 118hp with Catto fixed prop and a functional but simple all electric panel. Here are a few pics to show how simple it is.
oa96pz.jpg
[/IMG]

2qtho4l.jpg
[/IMG]

N942PT, is heavier with paint, full Flightline interior, Lyc O-320, Sensenich prop, complex all electric panel. 1099 pounds. Did not use clear coat on either plane.

2ds3k92.jpg
[/IMG]

2937gn5.jpg
[/IMG]

Again, you have a beautiful airplane which you will enjoy completely. I personally like your creature comforts.

Pat Garboden
RV9A N942PT (Reserved)
Working on FAA inspection paperwork
Katy, TX

Using electronic bathroom scale, I got pretty close others on tail:
18 vs, rudder, fairings, assembled
40.5 hs,elevator, fairings, assembled

No paint, trim servo,electric, etc.

To stir the pot once more.

Right aileron 7
Right Flap 7.1
Right Wing 75
Right Wing Tip 4.75
Right Wing Tip Light 0.2

Left aileron 7
Left Flap 7.3
Left Wing 73.5
Left Wing Tip 4.75
Left Wing Tip Light 0.2

Vertical Stabilizer 7.44
Rudder 16.3
Rudder Light 0.1

Horizontal Stabilizer 19.25
Horizontal Stabilizer Tip
Right Elevator 5.75
Right Elevator Tip 0.81
Left Elevator 6.31
Left Elevator Tip 0.81

Fuselage 251
Nose Landing Gear 19.125
Right Landing Gear 26.625
Left Landing Gear 26.5

Canopy 17.25

Top Cowling 5.69
Bottom Cowling 8.5

Total 598.26

Two scales 1. fish scale 0-50 lbs 2. Digital 0-440 lbs rigging as best I could.
All parts assembled per vans plans and unfinished. W&B Rev 0.

Thanks Frez1001

This is great. That is exactly what I was looking for. I think it will be interesting seeing where all the weight goes and being able to compare with other builders. My fish scale is not very accurate - but the fish I catch are real monsters! I saw a couple scales online for weighing baggage that say they are good within .2lbs. Im still looking for a better one. Thanks again and maybe we will get more responses. Maybe a separate thread for parts weights.

I weighed some of this stuff using a nice fish scale and a bathroom scale for the wings. Keep in mind I don't have some of the parts for the wings installed yet. ie push-rod and control surfaces. A good fish scale always adds a few pounds when measuring fish and subtracts a few when measuring airplane parts...

all internals primed, no fiberglass, lead counterbalance installed
Right elevator = 7.2 lbs
left elevator = 9.0 lbs
Vertical stab = 7.5 lbs
Rudder = 8.6 lbs
Horiz = 19.7 lbs

Left wing = 51.0 lbs (no flaps, no ailerons, no tips.)

Note: the weights reported by frez1001 and myself are very similar, except for the wings. ~20 lbs per wing is too large to be a scale error. One of us has a OOPS.

If and when I get the wings, engine hoist and scales back into formation I will re-weigh my wings.

My intent is to track the progression of the empty weight, from parts to final flying empty weight and to try and control the final CG location.

Note: the weights reported by frez1001 and myself are very similar, except for the wings. ~20 lbs per wing is too large to be a scale error. One of us has a OOPS.

Wingtips/lights/wiring/aileron servo? That would come close...

If and when I get the wings, engine hoist and scales back into formation I will re-weigh my wings.

I think I was the one with the ooops. I reweighed using a more accurate method which involves me holding the wing on the scale and then subtracting my weight:(. I came out with 66 lbs for the bare wing. bottom skins included. with none of the control surfaces, brackets, tubes, tips, hoses, weights other heavy stuff... Perhaps the bathroom scale is also a bit flattering...the thing senses my mood and throws a few pounds either way, a real scale would be better for sure. Sherwood is not that far away we could have a weigh off...

So, 66 lbs for the empty with with with skins as shown in the previous picture.

Frez1001,

I think we are close. I weighed my wing with the aileron push rods (both) in place and all skins. That could narrow the difference.

However, I weighed about a year ago and I have a six month memory.....

whd721

I know this thread started by Alex was about total weight of the -9, but thanks to those who have provided individual item weights. I think this is a great way to keep "lightness" in our heads all the way through the build. I will weigh each part when I get back in town.

By the way Alex, your 9A is one of the best looking RV's I have seen. Every pound of your plane is just right!

Weighing individual parts did not work for me.

I started weighing with two sets of scales I had (hanging and platform). something's I was able to weigh on both scales but I found they were not agreeing with each other so I stopped weighing until it was complete and ready for it's inspection. I can tell you now it is possible to get a 9a down to 900 lb.
I set out to build a 9a with a Lyc 0-235 to meet RAA (Recreation Aviation Australia) specifications (MTOW 1320 lbs, same as LSA). It had to be no more than 913 lb empty to be able to register it RAA. It came in at 893 lb.
It was a quick build so the air frame is std. Most all of the weight saving was under the cowl and in the cabin.
The wife and I are both light and if we are traveling we can carry about 26 lb of luggage and about 21 gal of fuel, which gives us about 3 1/2 hrs of flying (with reserves) and still be legal t/o weight.

Bob

Back