What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Simulator....for my Wife

I don't know about a simulator

I don't know about a simulator but a friend of mine who is afraid of flying said Lunesta or Ambian works great.

Um, it doesn't look like it worked very well!

I'm afraid I don't know of such a simulator either. However, I do know someone who had a severe fear of flying but who had no choice but to fly because of his job. The poor fella would experience stress and anxiety for weeks ahead of a business trip, so he eventually got with a psychologist who suggested that he get more familiar with the physics and process of flying.

They started by going to the airport and just sitting in one of the 172s. Later an instructor joined and explained the yokes, control surfaces, what each of the instruments were and how they worked, etc. Long story short, the more he understood the less afraid he was, he started taking lessons, and now owns a Cirrus I think he has his commercial ticket!

But, with doctor approval I suspect Ambien, Lunesta, Xanax or something similar are the better way to go.

Congrat's on the year! :)

Chris

Just off key a little but we are going to the islands for our one year anniversary, and she is deathly afraid of flying, and we need to find one of these....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlfqjP4Vrls

Um, it doesn't look like it worked very well!

I'm afraid I don't know of such a simulator either. However, I do know someone who had a severe fear of flying but who had no choice but to fly because of his job. The poor fella would experience stress and anxiety for weeks ahead of a business trip, so he eventually got with a psychologist who suggested that he get more familiar with the physics and process of flying.

They started by going to the airport and just sitting in one of the 172s. Later an instructor joined and explained the yokes, control surfaces, what each of the instruments were and how they worked, etc. Long story short, the more he understood the less afraid he was, he started taking lessons, and now owns a Cirrus I think he has his commercial ticket!

But, with doctor approval I suspect Ambien, Lunesta, Xanax or something similar are the better way to go.

Congrat's on the year! :)

Chris

I'm in the same boat with my wife. She is totally opposed to flying in my airplane and will barely get on an airliner. I wonder if a PC flight simulator would help her to understand the basics enough to get over the hump - kind of a combination of the two ideas presented above.
Thoughts?

Beware of Burbon...

A fifth of Jack Daniels and some coke will definitely help!:D

Good luck,

I took a fifth with me to Europe one time. Not because of fear, but I was thinking the if I got drunk I would enjoy (tolerate) the flight better. It was a night time flight. My wife took a pill and I used the booze.
After drinking about half, I stuffed the rest in my backpack.
When we got off the plane, I discovered that after that much booze, I had not tightened the top on and most of the rest had leaked out into my jacket and other items in the backpack.:(
Our tour guide met us at the airport and must have been real impressed by my smell.

Kent

I Have One!!!!!!!

...I have a "Wife Simulator." The add said she was just the thing for this problem and makes her the ideal traveling companion. Light weight, takes little space, no complaining and cheap to maintain. Ya, right! The first time I blew her up she leaked all the air out and was completely unusable, (Wasn't much of a conversationalist ether)...:rolleyes:

...I have a "Wife Simulator." The add said she was just the thing for this problem and makes her the ideal traveling companion. Light weight, takes little space, no complaining and cheap to maintain. Ya, right! The first time I blew her up she leaked all the air out and was completely unusable, (Wasn't much of a conversationalist ether)...:rolleyes:

At least she doesn't require you to buy a second headset. Also, staying under gross weight is fairly easy.

Back