What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dsub pin extraction

thompsonbr87

Well Known Member
I've got the dsub pin insertion/extraction tool from SteinAir. I've watched their videos. I've watched Garmin's videos. I still can't get this stinkin' thing out of the connector. Is there some trick to it? I feel like I'm gonna pull my hair out before the dsub socket.:confused:

You have to capture the wire inside the center part of the tool opening by spreading the slit just enough to slide the wire in, slide the tool down the wire till it bottoms out on the pin. Then hold the wire/pin/tool tightly together and push it in slightly then pull them all out together.

It takes a bit of wiggling for some pins and other come right out. Don't give up sometimes a new tool helps, but you have to spread the end just enough to capture the wire, then pull the wire tight against the tool then with the pressure still holding down on the pin at the end of the wire pull both out push wiggle pull, push wiggle pull.

Steve

If you're going to sacrifice the wire (ie, cut it in the end) the tool works much better if you can slide it over the cut wire. Otherwise, you'll need to force the wire to the inside of the cylinder (through the slit) and wiggle the tool around until the pin comes out. If it's a female pin, pushing with some thin wire inserted into the socket helps. For a male pin, a needle-nosed plier pushing on the pin will help. It will work, but it does take some patience, practice, and feel.

Finally got it. Thanks! Just practicing with spare/removed stuff to get the the feel for it. Watching how easy it was in the videos made me feel like I was doing something wrong. Then again, Stein and the Garmin techs have probably pulled more pins than I could ever dream of. If there's one positive takeaway, the 4-way indent crimp is very strong!

Why argue with success . . .

I usually find that after slipping over the wire and pin, I do a push/pull with wire and tool to get it out. I have done a lot, but usually in awkward areas and positions. It always seems like a fight.

Mark the tool somehow so that you can tell when it is fully inserted. I pull on the wire only. If it does not come out easily, I remove the tool, rotate it slightly and try again.

Yup, I find I mess up if I don't insert it fully into the connector body. Once fully seated, the pin will slide right out, usually with the tool.

Back