What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Plexiglass-safe threadlocker?

Thermos

Well Known Member
Patron
Hi all,

It's time to reinstall my rear canopy and I plan to use threadlocker on the canopy-to-rollbar screws. This thread mentions plexiglass crazing/cracking caused by Permatex Blue and other anaerobic threadlockers, and that one person is using Vibratite as a good plexi-safe alternative.

What are you using in this application? Vibratite or something else?

Thanks,

Dave

Last edited:
VC-3 works for me. I also use it for torque seal marker. It lasts longer.

Last edited:
Treadlocker

I had to replace my rear plexi after using locktite during construction on those same screws. Peeled off the protective plastic and every penetration was starred. Really spoils your day.

Just like it says in the construction manual:

CLEANING AND USE OF LIQUIDS
CAUTION: DO NOT use Loctite, aromatic solvents, acetone, benzene, ethyl acetate, carbon tetrachloride, lighter fluid,
lacquer thinners, gasoline, toluene, window sprays, concentrated alcohols, ketones, scouring compounds, ammonia, or
409 cleaner on or around acrylic or Lexan canopy materials.
The adhesive used on some brands of electrical tape may be incompatible with acrylic or Lexan.

Just like it says in the construction manual:

Got it wide-screen, thanks. I had read the manual and had no intention of using Loctite.

VC-3 works for me. I also use it for torque seal marker. It lasts longer.
Thanks Steve, that's the one I was looking for. I saw it mentioned years ago on Dan Checkoway's website but couldn't remember the exact product. It's on the way from Amazon.

Cheers all,

Dave

The specs say it has an MEK base. Sounds like it should be on the "naughty" list around canopies.
Good catch, thanks Mike.

Vibra-Tite's VC-3 web page shows compatibility with ECTFE, EPDM, FEP, Nylon 6/6, PE, PEEK, PET, PFA, PP, PPS, PTFE, TFE and UHMW. Are any of these plexi?

It also says "Note that all VC products are applied and dried on a fastener first. So if your fastener is metal, it can likely be installed into any substrate as the solvent has already evaporated."

Seems like it would work on plexi if the fastener isn't installed while wet?

Dave

May not apply to your situation but I have had very good results with using ProSeal (fuel tank sealant) to seal holes, surface junctures, and edges of the rear Lexan window on my RV-12. I followed the procedure identified by Van's in the plans. Apparently, now Van's specifies a new Flamemaster sealant that replaces ProSeal for the new-style plexiglass rear window (see below).

https://www.vansaircraft.com/service-information-and-revisions/25a/

https://shop.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin/shop.cgi?ident=1555629721-68-15&browse=misc&product=proseal

Back