What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Workbench/Worktable in an apartment

zampano

I am ready to order my empennage/tail kit and had one last question before I did:

Those of you that built in an apartment, what did you use for a workbench/worktable? My apartment is 720 sq. ft. so I don't have much room, but I could fit an EAA 1000 workbench in it if that's truly the best option.

EAA Bench

I am ready to order my empennage/tail kit and had one last question before I did:

Those of you that built in an apartment, what did you use for a workbench/worktable? My apartment is 720 sq. ft. so I don't have much room, but I could fit an EAA 1000 workbench in it if that's truly the best option.

Theoretically you could build on any flat surface including the floor. Depending on which model, one EAA Bench or kitchen table would probably make life much easier. Plan on lots of sharp aluminum bits on the floor!

Use your dinner table. Cover it with either plywood or other material to prevent drilling through. :)

I used a hollow core door atop two carts. Had to stiffen the sides with 1x4s and also 2x4s underneath to pick up the points of contact.

EAA Like Table

I'd recommend that you plan on maybe two EAA like tables. I built three and made provisions to bolt them together in whichever configuration I needed. Build them with screws and bolts - not nails. That way. they can be taken apart / transported to a different location easily and reassembled as needed. Best to you.

You really can get started with any type of table. It needs to have an edge that you can clamp parts down if needed. I have some folding tables that I've even done some work on. It's also good if you don't care if you drill onto it by mistake. Metal shavings may be more of an issue in you apartment. Drilling seems to send them flying everywhere. Granted I'm using an air drill and you likely will be using a lower rpm cordless.

I built my entire empennage on a 6 foot workbench in a 9 x 10? room that doubled up as an office with a full size desk and a bookcase. Yes, it was cramped, but it worked!

In my crazy thinking I was balancing time&tools (think: to build a "square" bench, versus cost/value. This choice has worked absolutely fine. Honesty as of today I'm totally happy I did this. I suggest (insist) you go to Harbor Freight (I know I know, but hear me out), they have a really good wooden 4 drawer bench (really good "IF" you also gorilla glue it together even with the screws). Has a maple top, that, more importantly, is square and rigid. I read reviews on these, and being harbor freight I was very skeptical. So my countermeasure was this, during the install...I used Gorilla Glue and everywhere! haha! Honestly, with using gorilla glue...these benches are solid. I bought two benches. Had them both glued and screwed in one day...and since they are cheap, I don't give a care drilling into them. Besides, several drilled holes are nothing after some epoxy and ballon filler mixed up! I placed all demurring tools in drawer 1. All clecos in drawer 2. Drawer 3 has all bucking bar riveting stuff. Drawer 4 has all squeezer and dimpling stuff. Doesn't get much more handier than this.
I insist on this option. Easy go!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ognyzowzwgasdsf/IMG_2541.jpg?dl=0

Last edited:
There was a guy on this forum that just built on his floor, that was his work bench. Not ideal, but it would work if you dont mind sitting.

Thanks for the advice!

I would love to build two EAA tables, but I measured and they just won't fit. I'll probably start with a piece of plywood or MDF on the table and see how it goes.

The apartment has wood floors so cleanup should be a bit easier, but I imagine I'll be sweeping a lot more!

Order going in this afternoon for a RV-7 empennage kit. :D

Back