What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Brake master cyl rebuild

acroflyrgirl

Well Known Member
I ordered a rebuild kit from Van's for my Cleveland master cylinders. It came with a couple of parts I don't recognize. Any ideas?
The pieces on the left I understand, the pieces on the right I don't know.

0b9acf0737d2ea1f360cbae1318e5d28.jpg

Last edited:
Master Cylinder rebuild

i rebuilt 2 of these for a friend who has an RV4; over a year ago. They worked great and did not leak.
10-30 brake master cylinder.
I ordered the parts kit from aircraft spruce.
The diagram that came in the kit was a poor quality photo copy.
If you go online and do a search for the part number for your brake master cylinder; you will find links to some really good quality pictures of where every part goes.
That said; as I remember, the parts kit was a universal kit that was intended to provide parts for more than one model of master cylinder. So you may have some "extra" parts.
When I took the master cylinder apart; I was very methodical & disassembled carefully & laid every piece in order on white paper towels. That way I knew exactly how it went back together.
Hope this helps.

Brake Master Cylinder

Make sure you in fact have Cleveland and not MATCO master brake cylinders. The MATCO are gold barrels and were supplied in my original 2000 RV-8. It uses a different rebuild kit with obviously different parts.

The two parts on the right look like they fit the GarKenyon type. I have one on my Cherokee.

The washer with o-ring is a pricey little booger, when purchased as an approved GA part. If I recall, it was $11 per at skygeek.

The snap ring also goes with the GarKenyon type and is easily lost when removing and it flies across the room.

Last edited:
Methodical mx

I did indeed lay all the pieces out in order. The instructions from Spruce were quite clear and I put in exactly what came off.

I am happy to report they are working great, no leaks. Bleeding from the bottom up makes it all so easy....even a cavepilot can do it.

Thanks fella's

Cathy

I have two Cleveland 10-30 master cylinders that need to be rebuilt. Seems like my options are to order the cylinder repair kit from either Spruce or Van?s at approximately $24 per cylinder, or, just order the o-rings, MS28775-110 and MS28775-113 at approximately 25 cents each. So, here is the question - is there some other special seal and or end gland that is in the expensive repair kit that you really need to warrant going the repair kit route? Thanks.

I have two Cleveland 10-30 master cylinders that need to be rebuilt. Seems like my options are to order the cylinder repair kit from either Spruce or Van’s at approximately $24 per cylinder, or, just order the o-rings, MS28775-110 and MS28775-113 at approximately 25 cents each. So, here is the question - is there some other special seal and or end gland that is in the expensive repair kit that you really need to warrant going the repair kit route? Thanks.

For the Cleveland type, I used my assorted o-ring kit from the aviation section of Amazon. Just be sure to get the type that is compatible with 5606.

I think I bought this one.
http://www.amazon.com/Buna-N-O-Ring...TF8&qid=1440536302&sr=8-2&keywords=o-ring+kit

Last edited:
Back