What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon Comm Help

Zazoos

Well Known Member
Symptoms:
Flying close to another airplane the other day and they reported that sometimes my comm message was broken and other times they couldn't hear anything other than me keying up.

Next day a friend with a handheld radio on the ground reported that he could hear me clearly when I was in the pattern but if I get much more elevation or move even a 1/4 mile from the pattern the message would be broken or just the key up.

Another plane departing the pattern reported my comm message was broken.

I am able to hear everything clearly.

What I tried to resolve the issue:
Tried 2 different Lightspeed Headsets.
Tried both headsets in both comm jacks.
Tried different frequencies.

Equipment:
RAMI AV-17 Antenna mounted below baggage area. Coaxial cable is less than 1 foot in length and was made by ACS.
Dynon SV Comm.

Thank you for the help.

Check voltage to radio. Had similar problem traced to high resistance in breaker switch.

I was wondering about these remote transmitter radios and how good they were. Is this a new install or has it been working good for a long time? Most of these like the Dynon have a transmit power of only 6 watts where as the Garmin 430 is at least 10 watts. If you haven't had the problem before it could just be a loose connector, bad ground or the antenna is not grounded to the aircraft. Good luck there is nothing more irritating than a bad working radio.

I was wondering about these remote transmitter radios and how good they were. Is this a new install or has it been working good for a long time? Most of these like the Dynon have a transmit power of only 6 watts where as the Garmin 430 is at least 10 watts. If you haven't had the problem before it could just be a loose connector, bad ground or the antenna is not grounded to the aircraft. Good luck there is nothing more irritating than a bad working radio.

Unit is new.

Similar issue

I have a very similar issue. We have two radios in our RV-7a: a Dynon SV-COM-X25 and a Garmin GTR 200. On the Dynon, I regularly get complaints from Ground or Tower that the radio is unreadable - however it is not consistent - sometimes transmit is ok. My two partners in the plane have less frequent issues. Receive on the Dynon works great. No problems with the Garmin. I?ve tried different headsets and the same result: frequently unreadable transmit on the Dynon, no problems with the Garmin.

We have a HDX-1100, and a PDA360EX-R audio panel.

Thoughts are appreciated.

Scott

I have a very similar issue. We have two radios in our RV-7a: a Dynon SV-COM-X25 and a Garmin GTR 200. On the Dynon, I regularly get complaints from Ground or Tower that the radio is unreadable - however it is not consistent - sometimes transmit is ok. My two partners in the plane have less frequent issues. Receive on the Dynon works great. No problems with the Garmin. I?ve tried different headsets and the same result: frequently unreadable transmit on the Dynon, no problems with the Garmin.

We have a HDX-1100, and a PDA360EX-R audio panel.

Thoughts are appreciated.

Scott

Where are your two antennae located?

Give us a call!

This is likely an issue with the transceiver itself. Give us a call on our support line and we can help get these radio issues resolved. We won't be back in the office until Monday December 30th.

Dynon Technical Support
Phone: +1 (425) 224-6736
Hours: 7:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Pacific, M - F

Where are your two antennae located?

The antennae on the on the bottom of the fuselage. The Dynon antenna is roughly between the main gear legs, and the Garmin is about 4 feet behind that and offset to the right. I thought maybe the gear legs were causing the problem if they were between the antennae and the tower, but the problem doesn?t seem to relate to the orientation of the aircraft and it occurs both on the ground and in the air when there is a clear line of sight to the tower.

This is likely an issue with the transceiver itself. Give us a call on our support line and we can help get these radio issues resolved. We won't be back in the office until Monday December 30th.

Dynon Technical Support
Phone: +1 (425) 224-6736
Hours: 7:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Pacific, M - F

Thanks Don. We are planning to try and get this resolved in January so either myself or one of my two partners will give you a call. We did a full panel replacement in 2018 with a HDX-1100, Dynon com, transponder and autopilot, and really love it. The only issue is the com transmission.

Scott

I had a similar issue with my Dynon Comm radio. The transmit was intermittently terrible, or mostly fine. Receive was always OK. After lots of troubleshooting, we determined that the transmitter was not always staying on frequency, but instead was hopping around. We used a radio frequency counter to finally find this out. I sent back the unit to Dynon and they replaced the unit. No issues after that!

I had a similar issue with my Dynon Comm radio. The transmit was intermittently terrible, or mostly fine. Receive was always OK. After lots of troubleshooting, we determined that the transmitter was not always staying on frequency, but instead was hopping around. We used a radio frequency counter to finally find this out. I sent back the unit to Dynon and they replaced the unit. No issues after that!

Thanks Bruce, that is a very helpful bit of information. It?s been very frustrating trying to figure out what the issue is since it is intermittent.

Scott

We had fits with the Dynon Comm radiio two experimental Super Cubs back. Our problem was frequencies in the lower range could not carry voice. Tried notch filters, replaced coax and re-bonded antenna to ground plane etc. Finally sent the unit back in for replacement. Worked fairly well up until when we sold tge airplane but never seemed as solid or powerful as similar Trig or Garmin offerings. We went Garmin remote (GTR 20) on the second Cub and it has been solid. I fly Trig remote com in a Husky and it has been similarly reliable, powerful, and has rugted.

I also had problems with the Dynon com in a Rans S-20 I built. Worked with Don at Dynon but could never fix the problem. Seem to happen down low or on the ground. Very frustrating when communicating at tower controlled airports. Up at altitude I could transmit fine and had no complaints.

Jim

Comm Update:

Finally got to fly again today. I adjusted the Mic Gain per the instruction while on the ground and the engine running. While saying Test repeatedly I would get a "Good" response when mic gain was adjusted to around 75.

I got in the pattern and a friend on the ground with the ICom A6 for testing.
With the mic gain on 75 the friend could only hear me keying up. I moved the Mic Gain down to 15 before the person on the ground could hear me loud and clear, but Dynon was reporting "Marginal". I left the Mic Gain on 15 and flew 10 miles away from the airport at 2700' and was still loud and clear with the friend.

Not sure what all that means, but it seems to be working.

Back