What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cart before the horse?

RepmikeBrown

Well Known Member
Installing wing tips on wings that were done a year ago. Problem is, too much of wings were finished. The tip rib was riveted in. I think I can get the fiberglass between the skin and the spar. It?s just a really tight fit and when the fit in the leading edge is good the trailing edge is out about 1/8? on the bottom side. The tip fits good on the top of wing. Just wondering if I?ll have to drill out rivets in center?

What I did..

Mike,
The tip rib should be fully riveted. The tip is only attached to the overhang of the skin (approx 1/2"-5/8" if I recall). If your skins were trimmed even with the rib flange, you may have to get creative. The spar stub that sticks out has to be trimmed and I did this with everything riveted. Slide a piece of thin steel (a putty knife works well) between the spar and skin, then trim the spar stub top and bottom at an angle of 45 degrees or so with a cut-off wheel to allow the wingtip to slide in. My spar stub protrudes about 1" long outboard of the rib. If you are still on the fence about rivets vs. screws to hold the tip on, I would recommend the nutplates/screws. Takes a little longer, but its nice to be able to remove them if needed down the road.

My left wing was built by other builder. The tip of the spar was cut at a taper, flushing with tip rib to allow tip install - see below. Yes, I also got the cart before the horse when I completed the right wing.

oQ4.jpg

Back