What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 Propeller question

Frankster

I just bought a 90% compete RV7 project which will be here in about 3 weeks. It has a wooden prop with it that I am going to get rid of and am contemplating what to put on it. common sense would tell me to use the Sensenich recommended by Vans but I have heard such good things about the Catto. Anyone have some experience to input here. It would need to have the nickel leading edges so I can use it in the rain.

90% done... I guess that means only 90% to go :)

Frank

I went with the constant speed Hartzell Vans sells but the Catto 3 blade was very tempting! I researched the decision extensively. I believe the 7 was designed with the heavy CS in mind. I read of numerous 7's with composite props being a little tail heavy (light on the nose) limiting the baggage you can carry when the fuel levels get low. I also read the CS works as an air brake to help slow you down on approach and I will be flying off a 1800' strip on my farm. One more plus is resale value......Downside of the CS is more weight, higher cost, and more maintenance. Do a search on Catto Props on this forum and get ready to do a lot of reading!

Thanks Mike, I am likely going to go with a fixed pitch for now. I will do some searching on the Catto Prop but may be going with a metal prop to help the CofG

Thanks,

Frank

It's very easy to use Sabre's heavy 18 lb crush plate with the Catto to help with CG issues if you want to use the Catto.

Back