What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Beginner Electrical Question

Stockmanreef

Well Known Member
I am building a -14 and and am installing a Garmin GAP-26 heated pitot.

I need to connect up the wires from the control box to wires leading into the fuselage.

there are 2 black 16 gauge wires and 2 red 16 gauge wires. the black wires need to be connected to a 14 gauge wire. the reds as well. what is the best way to do this? terminal fasten clip and fasten tab? crimp all there wires together? butt splice? Or is there a better method.

Also, where is the best place to get electrical stuff? Stienar?

thanks
ken

You can connect wires like this in any of several ways.
  • Splice and solder, with heat shrink tubing over the joints.
  • Use a round butt splice connector
  • Use mating pairs of Faston tabs & receptacles with heat shrink over the joints.
  • Use some other crimped pin connector, like a Molex.
It depends on whether you ever expect to need or want to disconnect it. If you do, go with a connector. If you don't, a decent mechanical connection soldered and insulated would be fine. Faston or butt splice would probably be my choice over a soldered splice, just because of Murphy's Law. In my experience, soldering will guarantee you have to take it apart for something. Using a pluggable splice probably means you will never have to touch it again!

I haven't bought anything from Steinair, but people speak highly of them. When I'm buying generic electrical or electronic bits and pieces, I usually buy from my regular suppliers if they have what I need at a decent price. But, I order from Mouser and Digikey at least every couple of weeks. Neither of those are a good source for wire in the quantities we need, especially Tefzel insulated wire. The wire is best sourced from an aircraft supplier; connectors and heat shrink are not aircraft-specific and can come from anywhere.

Simple

Stein is a one stop shop for avionics, electrical, advice and hands down the absolute best Customer support. You won't be disappointed. Call them and they will take good care of you.

I have had good luck using these.

SA-028%20BLUE%20KNIFE-SPLICE-L%20DSC08058.jpg

Stein has them, http://www.steinair.com/storedetail.cfm?productid=343

Use good crimpers, (like these from Stein) and put heat shrink over the connector, all the way past the insulation and onto the wire a half inch or so. If you have more that one wire as you mention, tie the wires together for support, less stress on the crimp joints.

If you ever need to take the connection apart, just simply slice off the heat shrink and unhook the connectors.

By the way, for small sized wiring I like Deans connectors or simply use the pins from D sub connectors pins without the shell, and heat shrink over them.

Last edited:
I already purchase the crimpers for terminals and molex connectors from Stein. I think that I will give Stein a call to see if they can put something together for me. I am not sure that their generic box of connectors is what I need.

It does seem like Stein does have a nice box of heat shrink to get started with.

So any connector should have heat shrink over them? Just to ensure they don't come apart and that no wire to wire shorts occur.

Mike S--how do those connectors work? I saw them on the stein site, but was not sure how they works.

thanks
ken

Mike S--how do those connectors work? I saw them on the stein site, but was not sure how they works.

thanks
ken

Very well:D

Take a close look at them, there is a straight portion close to the insulation, and the end has a part folded over. There is only one ----unisex---of them, not a male and female like most connectors. The fit together like a handshake, or a gladhand air coupling. The folded over part grasps the straight shank.

knife_splice_2.jpg

So any connector should have heat shrink over them? Just to ensure they don't come apart and that no wire to wire shorts occur.

Yes. Exceptions like D sub, Molex etc.

Last edited:
In my experience, soldering will guarantee you have to take it apart for something. Using a pluggable splice probably means you will never have to touch it again!

So true! I like to use soldered connections with heat shrink, but always leave enough slack to cut and redo a few times.

Back