What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Prop Gov Flex Hose

All,

What is the right length for teflon hoses with steel braiding for use from the prop gov assembly to the front of the engine. Use is for Constant Speed propellor. Lycoming Service Instruction #1435 allows use of them instead of stainless steel lines. My understanding is is the stainless steel lines may not/do not fit RV-8 and require removal of exhaust manifold to install. Flex hose sounds easier and cheaper.

Thanks.

Not sure what kind of exhaust system you have, but the stainless hard line fits the RV-8 in my hangar just fine. It was also made with about $20 worth of material from Spruce.

Michael,

Did you have to remove your exhaust system to install the SS line? Did you fabricate it yourself or have it made? If made by AS, was it some kind of normal specification or did you measure it out for them?

I honestly can't remember if I made the line with the exhaust on or off, but I'd be very shocked if I needed to drop the pipes to get it in/out. I did the fuel lines for this airplane and my Rocket in SS tube, and they follow the same basic routing (except left side) and I was able to fabricate and install without touching the exhaust.

I was talking with Superior just th eother day - they use flex lines fo this now, and told me it is a 40" hose with straigh -6 fitting son each end.

Like Mike, Ihave solid stainless lines on our current planes, but they were installed before the exhaust, so I can't tell you for sure if they can be put on with the exhaust in place.

Thank you, Paul. The Lycoming manual lists various lengths, including 40". I'll get some made up.

As a note to others, here is what a local engine shop recommends: Get some hose of similar dimensions to #6 (3/8 I/D I believe), clear plastic hose works. Then, use this to measure your installation. Both hoses lay similarly, so you get an accurate reading of the length required. This technique could be used on any flex hose install. Perhaps that is obvious but I hadn't thought of it.

Aircraft Spruce will make it for you. They call it Aeroquip.

Dave

Never like to contradict Paul, but I've just had hoses, inc Governor, made up for the RV-3. 40" seems long?

My notes show a length used of just under 27" - it fits, albeit not a lot to spare. To confirm, this is going from a rear mounted MT governor, under the cylinders on the right side, and then up through the front baffle to a 90degree fitting on the crankcase right side. This was an IO-320, but doubt different to, say 360?

As you say, use some plastic hose with realistic routing / bends to check.

Never like to contradict Paul, but I've just had hoses, inc Governor, made up for the RV-3. 40" seems long?

My notes show a length used of just under 27" - it fits, albeit not a lot to spare. To confirm, this is going from a rear mounted MT governor, under the cylinders on the right side, and then up through the front baffle to a 90degree fitting on the crankcase right side. This was an IO-320, but doubt different to, say 360?

As you say, use some plastic hose with realistic routing / bends to check.

Lycoming options in the SI only go from 36 to 42 inches.

Are you following the recommended routing?

http://www.lycoming.com/Portals/0/t...Fixed Pitch Propeller and Vice Versa; ....pdf

Are you taking a short cut at the aft end of the case across the top portion of the sump instead of using the sump bolts for clamp supports?

Last edited:
Hi Gil

I'm basically following the routing as the Superior engine on the RV-8 used.

Looking at the diagram, the MT governor fitting is different to the diagram. There is somewhat a shortcut, albeit it is secured using sump bolts. Limited in room, esp since the exhaust are constrained inside the intake pipes.

There is no way in an RV-3 cowl you could follow that routing...

I am not suggesting Dave uses the 27", just use the technique he has described (and the SI recommendations) and measure up....

Edit: and the 27" hose is for a Narrow Deck, Conical Mount, IO-320 some of which might also affect routing / length

Edit 2: Taken another look, the 27" pipe is using a 90deg fitting at the Governor end to accommodate the RV-3 and other constraints above e.g. a different sump etc.

Last edited:
I have the IO360 M1B Lyc with the SS line. I can not see/imagine how the exhaust would keep from installing the line. The alternator certainly needs to be off, but it looks like it can be installed from the front, I am happy to post a picture if you decide to use tubing. Just let me know - PM-email is best. The plane is in my basement and readily available.

Thank you, Gentlemen. I will install a flex hose, seems easier. Any pictures are always good, and appreciated...even the SS lines I won't be using ;) Who knows, maybe somebody else will read this thread and want SS lines...

Do you have a part number for the SS line. I have one but the routing is wrong for my boss mounted alternator. I have the c5000 governor and superior IO360. Pics would be nice.

Back