What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ballast

Each plane has it's own W&B , it's its a Angle Valve with a Hartzell prop,battery on firewall it's most likely at the forward edge of CG , Parallel Valve ,Catto prop battery in the back CG is going to be toward the rear .
I have a 4 gallon smoke tank in the rear battery location with 3 gallons of oil for ballast until I decide where I want my solo CG . Still playing with it in phase 1

Im 0-360, battery up front, Fixed Pitch, and I run out of trim on final. Some ballast in back helps. 20lbs-40lbs or so. I've also noticed that without a little weight in back the pitch balance feels heavy.

IO360 (parallel valve) and Hartzell CS prop with large, aft-mounted battery. I keep a few small items in the forward luggage compartment (for convenience).

Solo it's within 0.25" of the forward CG limit but the only time I really care or notice is upon landing. If I land on speed, I find that I cannot hold the nosewheel off the runway after the mains touch and it comes down fairly fast. So I can land a little faster (not ideal) or put about 10 pounds of ballast in the aft luggage compartment.

With a lightweight passenger in the aft cockpit (my GF), it lands a whole lot better.

If you don't have a heavy prop and engine combination, I cannot imagine you'll have a problem solo with too-far-forward C.G. but you will want to use ballast to explore your envelope. Good luck.

Back