What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nose Wheel Question, Ordering Fuselage

JeffM

I'm New Here
I'm looking for some advice on my 8A fuselage order, of the things people changed on their kits the only one that really stands out to me is the nose wheel assembly. Some people changed the brakes and all, I'm not sure how much of an advantage that is but what specifically concerns me is addressing the nose wheel shimmy before it is even potentially an issue.

What I've read so far was from people at different stages, most already were flying. So I have the advantage of being able to tell them to cancel the factory wheel right now. Knowing this, what would make the most sense? Of course no matter what it should be balanced but as far as options I've seen were the Grove wheel (tapered or sealed bearings), anti splat modification on the original wheel, Matco solid axle, and the red anodized wheels (manufacturer name is slipping my mind at the moment). I'm thinking the sealed bearing would be nice on the nose wheel, other than that what do you guys think?

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

Last edited:
I had my nosewheel treated with the AntiSplat treatment and it spins up very smoothly. Also suggest the other nose strut and lip skid stuff.

Starting with a better nose wheel to start with might save a few bucks with similar results, not sure about that but worth looking into.

As for brakes, I wish mine were a little more effective on my 7A. I remember the feeling on my 59' C182 when I changed out the brakes to dual piston models, like a new airplane on the ground.

Randall in Sedona

I bought a used Grove nose wheel here on vaf. Then ordered their three piece axle. Now the tire turns with no drag even though the axle bolt is torqued to the bolt's spec.

Bevan

Back