What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Official Report on RV-12 crash in Australia

E. D. Eliot

Well Known Member
For those who are interested, see the official report of the RV-12 accident which occurred last year (I think). The report is located in the 'General Discussion News' today under the title of RV-6A Accident - Melbourne. Just a FYI.

Thanks & Waiting

I am very interested in learning more about this accident. And I am glad that the info from the Dynon was released. Out of respect to those involved, I am not going to do any speculation as to cause. I'll wait for the Coronal Inquest info. Thanks to all of you in Australia who have responded and have given us information. I appreciate your contributions.

I am wondering if the builder of that 12 is building another one or if he is even flying after this tragedy?

Can anyone interpret Fig. 13 in that report...regarding the trim setting?
Does the graph indicate a movement in one direction and then rapid change in the other direction?
What is "Elevator Trim Position Value" in respect to neutral for example?

Last edited:
Copy from my post in rv-6a accident thread

I think without further investigation that the trim readings can't really tell anything.
The report says the trim units are read by the dynon as a figure of +1 to -1 the trim is shown to go from -.015 to as low as .027 then up to .005
Without knowing if the travel readings at the full deflection were +1 to -1 these readings may have been as little as 1% of the travel. The trim may have just been experiencing normal air loads not actually been moved? You need to know the full scale of movement.
Maybe someone with an dynon sky view on an -12 might be able to answer.

Peter

Back