What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Water in the pitot system

RV12John

I'm New Here
I'm one of the new owners of SLSA N249VA. We are keeping the plane in a shade hanger at KCLW until we can get a t-hanger. The pitot cover blew off in a storm the other night and let water into the system. Or at least, that's what I suspect. Moving map and engine monitor works fine, but airspeed and altitude are all over the place. We have had the plane a little over a month and have not had any issues. Is there anything we can/should do besides wait for it to dry out? The plane flies great and generates a lot of interest wherever we go. I'm a huge fan of ads-b out. We fly in busy airspace and it's given us a great picture of the traffic around us. I also had Lockwood check the floats, both sets were right around 6 grams.

Water in the pitot tube would not affect altitude, but water in the static system could. It will take a very long time for water to dry up from inside of a tube. I suggest that the static tube be removed from the EFIS and blown out with air while holding a finger over the static port first on one side of the fuselage, then again on the other side.

Last edited:
With the way the static system is designed (lines running up hill imediately inboard of the static ports), I would be surprised if it was able to get much water in the tubes.
If that is what happened, it may dry out pretty quickly on its own.

Yes, this has happened to me before. You have water in your static lines. Your autopilot will not work correctly to. However I think Joe is wrong with reguards to the Skyview instead of the D-180. I believe you cannot access the static lines from behind the Skyview. I think they only go to the AHARs in the tail. Can a Skyview builder speak to this? Easiest way to clear water out without going into the tail boom would I think be to hook a vacuum to one side of the static ports and try sucking the water out for a few minutes then repeat from the other side. You can put your ear on one static port and have a friend blow into the other port and hear a slurping sound to verfy water in your system. Good luck.:)

I believe you cannot access the static lines from behind the Skyview. I think they only go to the AHARs in the tail. Can a Skyview builder speak to this?

You can put your ear on one static port and have a friend blow into the other port and hear a slurping sound to verfy water in your system. Good luck.:)

Correct.
The static lines are only within the tail cone on a Skyview RV-12

I wouldn't recommend blowing into the static ports.
I do not know for certain that the sensor wont tolerate the pressure that could be induced, but I personally wouldn't risk it.

Correct.
The static lines are only within the tail cone on a Skyview RV-12

I wouldn't recommend blowing into the static ports.
I do not know for certain that the sensor wont tolerate the pressure that could be induced, but I personally wouldn't risk it.

Scott maybe right, so let me rephrase. :p
Have a friend gently blow into one side of the static system while you place your ear up to the other static port. If you hear a bubbling or slurping sound then you have caught the RV12 Ebola Water Virus.:D Then quarantine the area. Then Gently try Vacuuming one static port by holding the Vacuum tube close to but not to close as to over whelm the AHARS vaccine and break it, to try to clear the water from the system. However if you are not comfortable with this procedure then transport the Victim to the nearest Branch of the Emory Out Patient Avionics clinic for treatment.:eek:

PLEASE................

Do NOT blow or suck, no matter how gently, on any static or pitot port with first disconnecting from the AHARS. You risk doing catastrophic damage to an expensive instrument.

Jetguy is right. I was thinking about my Dynon D-180 that is connected directly to the static ports. Pressure or vacuum should not be applied to any instrument without knowing what it can tolerate.

During preflight after a rain storm I noted some water in a static port. I took a tuft of paper towel and wicked it out. I think the rivet opening is small enough that it (I.e. The rivet only) can fill with capillary action, but it wasn't a large amount.

Land and pee.

Oh wait, you said Pitot system, not Pilot.

Gotta stop quickly scanning thread titles . . . :D

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. It turns out that doing nothing was the way to go. I flew today and everything was fine.

Back