What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trim Speed Adjustment

jsenft

Well Known Member
What potentiometer do I adjust for the trim tab speed? I see 12 different POT adjustments on the control module but none of them say trim. I get 17 seconds from stop to stop.

Adjustment tool

Is it necessary to use the adjustment tool or can any tiny screwdriver be used to adjust the trim tab speed?
Perhaps it is necessary to not make metal to metal contact with the side of the control case??? thus the (non-metallic) adj tool is required???

I'm not there now but generally, non-magnetic tools used for adjustment are used on adjustable coils - at least back in the day before everything became miniaturized.

Short answer - use the non-magnetic device to tune coils.

Looking at the plans they appear to be adjustable coils. Adjustable coils generate a magnetic field by having a coil of wire wrapped around a ferromagnetic insert (that's what you tune). The insert moves up and down in the coil changing the magnetic field - hence the frequency of the coil. Using anything other than a non-magnetic device to tune the coil will lead to faulty tuning since that device is now part of the insert/coil. The metal device will change the electrical properties of the tuning coil so that, the moment you take away the non-metallic tuner the properties of the coil will change and won't be what you think they are.

Bob

Last edited:
As I recall, a small AV-50000A pot adjustment screwdriver (non-magnetic?) was included by Van's in my avionics kit. I cut the screwdriver a bit shorter to facilitate its use. You can also get easier access to the trim pot adjustment screw if you temporarily unscrew the Master Switch / Mag Switch module and push it aside.

The trim speed adjustment is a potentiometer on my D180 RV-12, and it is probably the same on the new units. The issue is the possibility of shorting something rather than affecting the inductance of a coil. I wrapped the shank of a jeweler's screw driver in heat shrink leaving just the tip uncovered to adjust the pot.

I wish Vans would reconsider this design to make all these pot adjustments more accessible.

I wish Vans would reconsider this design to make all these pot adjustments more accessible.

They did.... When the new Skyview panel was introduced

With the removal of 6 screws that mount the EFIS screen, and then removal of the screen, it provides pretty easy access to the pots on the AV-50000 control module.

Last edited:
Scott,

You and I have very different opinions on this, and we have exchanged thoughts before. The Rv-12 is a great design, but there are some things many of us owners would have liked to see different: tail cone access, fuel tank drain, tank sight glass, etc. A few have been addressed like the sight glass, but the impression I get is that what Vans sees as no big deal is frequently considered a real hassle by owners (e.g. Fuel tank removal). Has Vans ever considered establishing an owner advisory group or taking a more "official" presence on VAF to get owner input?

Rich

Scott,

You and I have very different opinions on this, and we have exchanged thoughts before. The Rv-12 is a great design, but there are some things many of us owners would have liked to see different: tail cone access, fuel tank drain, tank sight glass, etc. A few have been addressed like the sight glass, but the impression I get is that what Vans sees as no big deal is frequently considered a real hassle by owners (e.g. Fuel tank removal). Has Vans ever considered establishing an owner advisory group or taking a more "official" presence on VAF to get owner input?

Rich

I thought the discussion was about difficulty of access to the trim speed adjustment pot, and where it was located???
That was the only thing I commented about....

Back