What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Are My EGTs OK or should I be worried....

cactusman

Well Known Member
1st cross country and I noticed that others seem to be getting better fuel flows and their EGTs seem to be lower than mine, should I be worried - everything is green and the engine is running fine and in fact I was very impressed with how stable the cruise was coming back this afternoon....I had some vibration issues early on in the test phase, but the extra ADHRS rib kit and another carb balance seemed to have solved that nicely.

Both EGTs are frequently in the 1200-1400 range - but never red. The right is higher and yes they read normal ambient temps when the airplane is cold....so they seem to be working. I just can't figure out why my temps are so high compared to other screenshots I have seen.

I do have the newer cylinder design as well.

(1st flight out of test was taking the wife to Sedona for lunch - our one day off together - our 23rd anniversary was Sunday.)

1zptk6f.png

Last edited:
Your temps are lower than mine. My max EGT is typically around 1400 degrees F. If I remember correctly what Mike Bush wrote, EGT is of no concern. CHT is the important one. My max CHT is usually around 200 degrees F.

1st cross country and I noticed that others seem to be getting better fuel flows and their EGTs seem to be lower than mine, should I be worried - everything is green and the engine is running fine and in fact I was very impressed with how stable the cruise was coming back this afternoon....I had some vibration issues, but the extra ADHRS rib kit and another carb balance seemed to have solved that. Both EGTs are frequently in the 1200-1400 range - but never red. The right is higher and yes they read normal ambient temps when the airplane is cold....so they seem to be working. I just can't figure out why my temps are so high compared to other screenshots I have seen.

(1st flight out of test was taking the wife to Sedona for lunch - our one day off together - our 23rd anniversary was Sunday.)

1zptk6f.png

A few observations, you numeric value of your right EGT is not depicted correctly, but you bar depiction looks ok. If the numeric value is 1204 then it's fine and I wouldn't worry about it. Next, fuel flow indication is a function of the K-Factor you have inserted into the Skyiew. Have you checked the fuel totalizer Accuracy yet? You may need to adjust you K-Factor number up or down per the Manual which will change your fuel flow indication.;) Suggestion, consider removing you wing spar indicator light (there is a big one next to your key) and moving the stall and canopy indicators down some then add your fuel totalizer value above the canopy indicator. :rolleyes:

I was posting while you were PS ing:D Use the Screen Layout editor to move your CHTs and the Left EGT to the left some and the 1 should become visible.;)

Consider the 20% EMS screen in this thread.
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=111857

There is room for the canopy indicator. That and the Spar and the Stall can use a smaller size dot. The great big MP dial is a waste of space for a fixed pitch prop. I retained the number for no reason I can think of...

The CHTS can be closer together because they will never show 4 digits, like the EGTs will.

I find having all of the gauges vertical makes for an easier scan. Why they chose the scatter pattern of some vertical and some horizontal - I dunno. But the nice thing is that we can alter them to suit ourselves.

I also put Hobbs time on that 20% view because I write it down after a flight, and before had to remember to go to the 50% engine page to see it.

Customize away!!!

Thanks guys for the feedback. I'll move on to worrying about other things then.

I'll work on the screen issues as well - thanks for the links.

Back