What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Carb float SB

Ex Bonanza Bucko

Well Known Member
OK: Saturday 12-6 is 60 days from the date of this mandatory SB and the date upon which we must complete the inspections required. But my Rotax mechanic says the tools needed to get the job done are "on backorder."

I assume that failure to comply with the SB will void the warranty on a new engine, which mine is.

What do you think or know about this?

EBB:-(

I'm no expert, but I believe that if you drop the bowls and weigh the floats, as described in one of the later sections of the SB, then you are at least arguably in compliance. No special tools needed.

Floats (or not)

I just weighed mine this weekend, one side was good 5.8 grams. The other not so good, one was 4.8 the other 2.9. I picked up a scale from amazon, $9.99 with free shipping if you sign up for a free month of prime. I did this last year and cancelled before 30 days were up. The scale needs to read .1 grams increments.

Even after letting it sit for 5 hours it still read 4.8 grams.

Lockwood already has a new (old) one in the mail.

BTW.. The scale was accurate to within .1 gram when measuring a penny, nickel, dime and quarter.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000P1NYE8/ref=pe_385040_127541850_TE_item

Gary

Failed float

Gary, just curious. Did you observe any fuel spilling onto the drip plate, fuel smell, rough engine etc... prior to weighing the float per the service bulletin?

Carb floats

I did not have any issues with fuel overflow, rough idle, et. The only issue I've had from day one is the sooty plugs on the number 1 cylinder.

I just weighed mine this weekend, one side was good 5.8 grams. The other not so good, one was 4.8 the other 2.9. I picked up a scale from amazon, $9.99 with free shipping if you sign up for a free month of prime. I did this last year and cancelled before 30 days were up. The scale needs to read .1 grams increments.

Even after letting it sit for 5 hours it still read 4.8 grams.

Lockwood already has a new (old) one in the mail.

BTW.. The scale was accurate to within .1 gram when measuring a penny, nickel, dime and quarter.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000P1NYE8/ref=pe_385040_127541850_TE_item

Gary

Make sure you order the new Lockwood gaskets - the cork ones are pretty much disposable.

Back