What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GA prop weight difference help

cyrus

Well Known Member
Changing my 45lb prop to a 26lb GA prop, and wondering if anybody has done this while already flying.

I will move my ELT forward, and replace my tailwheel with a light tailwheel (maybe save 1lb) then redo the W&B but am pretty positive I'll have to add some weight to the nose and am wondering what options there are.

I've read about landoll rings, and being hard to get, but what about adding static weight to the engine as in lead weights bolted on? Any suggestions about that?

thanks!

The most efficient means of adding weight fwd would be to switch to using a Steel prop extension (assuming the one you have now is aluminum.

Doing so puts the added mass as far fwd as possible and it is doing other work that already needs to be done.

I did it and a few others have too

If its the sensi GA prop I really like it

I had sabre mfg make a heavy spacer I think its 8 inch diameter

I just bought that light weight tailwheel that looks really nice but the rubber is so hard when i taxi on our grooved runway it feels like a buzz saw on the tail. I took it off. And my calculations showed it only moved the cg less than a 1/2 inch.

Rv 4

Cm

Saber would be a good go to for that information
I used a saber prop extension and a 15 lb steel weight under the spinner as a crush plate to better position the CG with a composite prop on my RV9

Thanks for the replies! I emailed Saber but seems there?s an issue with GA props and crush plates.

?Yes we make up to 20 pound crush plates for wood or composite props but they do not work on ground adjustable props because the front of the prop hub is not flat.
Thanks

Sam Tilleman?

Weight a minute...

Cyrus,
All of the above replies are good solutions.
Sam@Saber fabricated my aluminum prop shaft extension (spacer) on my RV6X's 0-360J for the Catto 2 blade Gen2 it currently sports. I installed Sam's steel crush plate as well. Saber's steel prop extension (spacer) that Chris installed above with his Sensy GA might work for you, a worthy question.
You will love the Sensy GA BTW, it's a great prop. ..

Additional CG forward mods:
1. Odyssey battery mounted on the firewall using a Van's mount.
2. ELT on the inside firewall.
3. Installed a set of ER fuel tanks from my buds Hollywood and Cheese at Hotel Whiskey Aviation. www.hotelwhiskeyaviation.com They mount forward of the spar, passing through the lightening holes from the wingtip to the main tank.
That's another 10lbs forward of the CG plus the 8.2 gallons of fuel they hold*. Not only is the weight forward of CG, it adds range, safety and flexibility.

The easiest way to adjust CG in an RV (as you well know) is fuel management. *More gas=forward CG/heavier nose. :)

V/R
Smokey

PS: I too found Tail-wheels don't make a huge difference in CG. The soft rubber Van's/Fly-boy versions (vs solid rubber) are far superior on gravel or soft turf, something I deal with every time I fly..

Last edited:
Thanks Smokey!

I've reached out to Chris (above) and also to Sam again. I currently have the HWA wingtip tanks (but actually rarely use them) and my battery(s) are behind the firewall between the pilot and passenger's feet.

I definitely can move my ELT forward, just need to figure out where to re-position the antenna, and wish I did a little more research before buying the light tailwheel but alas, not a huge loss in this world :)

I'll try to borrow the EAA scales this week and get an updated W&B, and post my findings.

Weight a minute!

Cyrus,
Here is one idea on ELT antenna placement, "LL" (Judoka on VAF) came up with. As Forrest said: I like it...alot.:)

V/R
Smokey

Last edited:
Back