What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-14A Wings or Tail First

AlinNS

Well Known Member
I plan to order my first RV kit next month and am planning an RV14A. Been real close between the nosegear/taildragger.

I need some help deciding on whether to start the tail or the wings first and have sent Vans an email for their opinion.

Here are my thoughts:

Tail Kit

1. Easier to build??;
2. Easier to store (Man, I have just the spot for it);
3. Cheaper to start;
4. Kit has been out less time so maybe more errors in the plans and less people from whom to ask advice;and
5. Would be committed to the nose gear model.

Wing Kit

1. Harder, more time consuming to build??;
2. More difficult to store;
3. Pricier to start;
4. Kit has been out longer so better vetted plans and more advice available;and
3. Could still change my mind regarding gear configuration.

Off to folks who have both kits or knowledge for comment.......... please.

I am building a 9A, so my opinion may not apply here. But, I would start with the tail kit. If you are comfortable with sheet metal work, start with either one.

I ordered both kits at the same time. I decided to build the wings first because I am building in my garage and when they are done I will build a storage dolly and store them in my hangar. I plan on building the rest of the airframe in the garage and move it to the hangar when it is ready for wing installation and engine runs.

Tail or Wings?

Not only are there a lot of people that have done both, there are a lot of people that have finished both, so I don't think you should be concerned about errors in the plans. All of Van's earlier models started with the tail, but having finished both, I don't think it really matters. I started with the wings for the reasons you stated, because the tail kit was just being released when I ordered the wings. However, I don't think you will have an issue with errors or changes to the plans. Good luck, if you enjoy the process 1/2 as much as I have, you will have a blast. The contributors to this forum have been very generous with their time and advice. Enjoy, and welcome!

My comments are based on building a RV-10, so they experience may not 100% apply to the RV-14

Tail Kit

1. Easier to build??; no, but requires you to learn many different techniques, which is good. historically, Van's does a significant amount of mentoring in the earlier kits, specifically the empennage kit. They start getting less verbose with each subsequent kit.
2. Easier to store (Man, I have just the spot for it); You don't need to mount the horizontal and vertical permanently until you move the airport, which makes it easier to store.
3. Cheaper to start;
4. Kit has been out less time so maybe more errors in the plans and less people from whom to ask advice;and
5. Would be committed to the nose gear model. correct

Wing Kit

1. Harder, more time consuming to build??; no, wings is the easiest kit, very repetitious
2. More difficult to store;
3. Pricier to start;
4. Kit has been out longer so better vetted plans and more advice available;and
3. Could still change my mind regarding gear configuration.

Off to folks who have both kits or knowledge for comment.......... please.

If given a choice, my recommendation would be to start with the tail.

At this stage you are not really committed to the tail or nose wheel kit. The only difference is a weldment that goes between the aft two bulkheads of the tail cone. Thus if you order either one you can make your decision only when you are finishing that portion of the fuse. You could just leave the aft bulkhead out for now.
The important decision happens when you order the actual fuse kit. That as when differences start to show up.

I think you will find from Van's that the tail will be recommended first. I think their tail plans have more details for the first time builder. The first RV-14 builders might gotten a little more info with their wing kits because Van's had the wings ready first for this aircraft.
I would recommend the tail as the pieces are smaller if you mess up something and need to re-order.
Ron

Vans did in fact recommend the tail first.

I did not realize that there was not much difference between the nosegear/taildragger tail kit. Certainly seems as though a change of mind would not be a big deal.

You all are making very valid points, most I hadn't considered.

This part of the decision making has just become much easier. I am going to order the prop and engine first.........just kidding!

The only thing with starting the wings first is that the first thing you do is take out the spar and start drilling and riveting the most expesive single item in the kits (I think-maybe the canopy is more expensive). Most of the "gatchas" on the wings are on cheap items. I screwed up the J channel and a couple of ribs. Cheap to replace. I have not sealed up my tanks, so I can't say how easy or hard they are to build with out having leaks.

I did one wing up through the top skin. Then the other. Now I am doing everything for L/R at the same time.

Maybe it is less daunting to start with the empannage. Who knows. A lot of us working on the -14 started on the wings since the empennage kit was not available.

Back