What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need info on -10 wings

ClarkieSr

I'm getting ready to order the standard wing kit. With the exception of a few minor mistakes I got thought the empennage with little difficulty. My questions are: 1. How difficult are the wings to build?
2. Is a cradle needed and if so does the manual give details on building
same.
3. What is the length of each wing.
Thanks in advance for the help

Wings were not difficult just a lot of repetitive work; Ribs,countersinking and deburr, repeat:D. The tanks were not as difficult as some of the threads discuss just a little messy. I'm not in my shop right now but the wings are about 12 Ft each. There was a jig to make for the tanks, a larger version of the one made for the HS. The pattern for the jig is on the shipping crate don't throw away until you cut it off, ask me how I know:rolleyes:

A cradle isnt needed, but helps to have one for mobility and space saving. This one works from day one all the way through completion. One end converts to a "sling" when the leading edges are on.

This is not my original design and others have posted details on the dimensions and construction in other threads.

img_0919.jpg

No rig a la -7 or -8 is required. I prepped the spar (counter-sinking etc) on the bench and fitted the ribs. Then I lay it flat on 4 workhorses and used shims and a digital level to get it absolutely square before riveting on the skins.

Not difficult but some of the rivets on the second skin take a bit of reaching. Quite a lot on the first skin can be done solo but it works so much easier with a rivet buddy.

I haven't flown yet so can't be 100% sure, but when I fitted the wings and measured them up, they were absolutely spot-on.

Wings Stand

I built a a 2for stand. Its very similar to the others out there, but it can be separated into two independent stands in order to get to both sides of the wings. With the limited space in my garage I really needed to be able to tuck away the wings as compact as possible, but still be able to pull them out and separate them as needed. It took an hour to build and a small amount of lumber and 8 cheap casters, and was well worth the effort in my opinion.

photo-51.jpg

photo-32-e1388034297798.jpg

The stands are a nice thing to have. I got mine from Mike Anderson and hope to be passing it on in a couple of years. But I did the spars and aft ribs/top skin on saw horses. You'll want a cradle for the leading edge and fuel tank assembly but Van's provides the template for those on the crate - just cut, connect with some 2x2 or similar, and line the cutouts with foam or carpet.

Not difficult but some of the rivets on the second skin take a bit of reaching. Quite a lot on the first skin can be done solo but it works so much easier with a rivet buddy.
A rivet buddy is definitely the way to go. I have long arms and am a bit anti-social so I closed up my QB wings solo using a stand and safety wire to hold the skin up. Solo wing skin riveting

Back