What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Larger tires?

Skyhook

Well Known Member
Is anyone using the 6.00 tires (or larger?) on the -4? In my ongoing struggle with rough field conditions- trying to dodge the dreaded weldment crack business- I am thinking that installing larger tires might help.
Then, there's that added weight at the end of those spring gear to consider.... More questions than answers.

WILL A 600 TIRE FIT ON A 500 WHEEL?? hOW MUCH BIGGER WOULD A 600 BE AND THEN THERE IS THE WHEEL PANT THAT WOULD HAVE TO BE OVERGROWN.

Deke, I talked to Van's guys about this last year and was informed someone at the factory did try the larger tires at a cost of about 10kts cruise-- that's with the large wheel pants.
I also believe the entire wheel needs replacement to accomodate that larger tire.
What I was hoping to find was someone with field experience with that mod and some evaluation of the added weight at the ends of those spring gear. My -4 has the longer gear and adding more to the mass out there might, I think, cause greater stress on the weldments and magnify the problem I'm trying to resolve.
I am convinced that next year, I'll 'fluid 3F' the engine and put the ship away during the winter.

>I am convinced that next year, I'll 'fluid 3F' the engine and put the ship away during the winter.<

Why, that's just crazy!
Fly it south, I'm sure we can find some kind soul to fly it for the winter and keep it loosened up for you!
(It's the least we can do)

jhallrv4 said:
>I am convinced that next year, I'll 'fluid 3F' the engine and put the ship away during the winter.<

Why, that's just crazy!
Fly it south, I'm sure we can find some kind soul to fly it for the winter and keep it loosened up for you!
(It's the least we can do)
LOL. Now, why didn't I think of that?

Back