VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 09-09-2009, 04:48 PM

Default Wing fit

We are putting everything together for the final time. Put the wings on again and marked for the rubber seal. Installed the seal and put the wings on. One was VERY tight, the other doesn't fit. Maybe as much as 1/8th short. Called van's and they said "push harder". Did a lot of pushing and that isn't the answer.

Anybody have any ideas?
Old 09-09-2009, 06:37 PM

Howard told me about your problem at an EAA meeting last night. Since both wings and pins fit before the weather strip, I'd remove it from both wings, refit the wings and pins and then carefully measure the wing to fuselage gap on both sides. It sounds like one wing has more clearance than the other. Either that or the non fitting seal is thicker than the other.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:43 AM

Just tried fitting left wing. There is quite a big discrepancy between the leading and trailing edge tabs. How much do these need to be filed to fit? Won't this change the wing incidence?

Any hints gratefully received...Keith
Old 03-03-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGaines View Post
We are putting everything together for the final time. Put the wings on again and marked for the rubber seal. Installed the seal and put the wings on. One was VERY tight, the other doesn't fit. Maybe as much as 1/8th short. Called van's and they said "push harder". Did a lot of pushing and that isn't the answer.

Anybody have any ideas?
John Bender had this problem also. He invented a tapered pin that can be tightened up with a wrench to draw the wing skin into the seal.

Here is his post in another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBPILOT View Post
http://i568.photobucket.com/albums/s...in100_1105.jpg

I had a local machine shop make this for me. Solid steel. Slightly under 1 1/2" diameter, with 2" taper from 1" to 1 1/2", then polished. 1/2" X 13 thread in both ends for pulling in from the rear, and pulling back out thru the front. Once it is pulled in, you can put in the other sides pin, and remove the special pin with the sleave and a bolt or threaded rod.

John Bender

Maybe he can let you rent it for a few $$$. I know I'm gonna....CHEAP!

Have you tried warming up the seal with a couple of hairdryers?
RV-44 : 4 place helicopter on order.

Last edited by Geico266 : 03-03-2010 at 02:11 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblwy View Post
Just tried fitting left wing. There is quite a big discrepancy between the leading and trailing edge tabs. How much do these need to be filed to fit? Won't this change the wing incidence?

Any hints gratefully received...Keith
There should not be anthing left to do on the wing. There is nothing left to fit or trim to fit at this point. Something is not right. Double check your rollers to ensure they are installed correctly.

Can you post a picture?

Last edited by Geico266 : 03-03-2010 at 02:07 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:25 PM

Default Thanks Larry

In cool, or cold weather, it is nearly impossible to compress the seals after you have installed them. If you can trim the seals a little, you might make it. I have not had my plane together in warm weather, so I can't say if it will work ok then. It was about 50 degrees last fall when we tried to "push hard", and we could not get them. With my special tool, they just 'groan' pulling it. They are sure solid once you get the pins in. I don't plan to remove the wings very often, so it is ok with me. The special tool is on the bench at the airport !

John Bender
Old 03-03-2010, 03:43 PM

I used an electric palm sander to reduce the thickness of the seal, especially where the seal crosses a rivet or screw on the terminal block (F-1270C). The seal is very rigid and sands nicely. Just go slowly - lot of trial and error.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:38 AM

Default More detail

This was my first trial fit, so there's no trim involved.

I'm at least half-an-inch short of getting the spar hole to line up with the fuselage, so a tapered pin is premature.

At this point the tab on the rear spar seems to be centred in its slot. The tab on the front sub-spar is hard against the top of the slot with a big gap at the bottom. It looks to me that I would need to take at least quarter-of-an inch off the top of the tab to get it to go right into the slot, and I have already taken some off. And then I guess it would not make contact all the way around. The tabs fitted nicely into the holders when I was building the wings...

If I rotate the wing anticlockwise looking from the tip to the fuselage, I can get the front tab lined up, but then the rear tab is too high.

I don't know whether I should be removing material from the front, or rear, or both. Presumably removing material from the front leaves the wing at a higher incidence than removing at the rear.

Keith...puzzled
Old 03-04-2010, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblwy View Post
It looks to me that I would need to take at least quarter-of-an inch off the top of the tab to get it to go right into the slot, and I have already taken some off. And then I guess it would not make contact all the way around. The tabs fitted nicely into the holders when I was building the wings...
Keith, I cannot stress enough, IMHO, that no material should have been removed at this point. Doing so will not allow the front & rear spar to fit properly into their sockets. If they don't fit tight the wing can twist in flight.

Can you take pictures & post them?

Have you double checked the installation of the roller bushing?

This would be a good time to call Vans.

Last edited by Geico266 : 03-04-2010 at 05:57 AM.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:00 AM

Default Wing Fit

Keith

Look at page 14-2 Fig 2. You didn't by chance get the left and right stub spars reversed on the wing assemblies. That would cause the stub insert to be too high.