VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-29-2019, 09:45 PM

Default RV-12 AOA retrofit

I purchased a previously built RV-12 and have decided to install the Van's Angle of Attack kit. On page 3, step 16 of the Notification 16-12-14 (Angle of Attack Installation), the instructions call for routing tubing from the ADAHRS along the same route as the aft pitot tube hose - then through the left side F-1215 seat rib snap bushings. Has anyone accomplished the routing through the F-1215? Any recap of how this was done would be appreciated.
Old 01-30-2019, 06:56 PM

Default AOA Upgrade

I purchased the Van's AOA kit last summer and installed it. I have slept since then so I don't remember all the details. I had the floor panels and the aft bulkhead out. I do remember having to drill some holes and I think Van's provide some 3/4 inch grommets to go in the holes. Van's provides very specific instructions for mounting the connector to the left wing. I ran the tubing from that connector under the pilot's seat, through the center tunnel and back behind the aft bulkhead and then routed it with the tubing for the pitot tube to the AHARS.

In the wing I ran the tubing through the j channel to where it connects to a rivet. I have a fiberglass wire guide (like a fishing pole with out the eyelets for line) that electricans use and I used it to help get the tubing from the wing edge to the location of the rivet.

The hardest part of the process was getting the mandrell out of the rivet. I could not pound it out like the instructions say. After calling Eric at Van's, he told me to cut it off and use a self-centering punch on it. One push and the broke it loose and I got it out then.

I was also installing ADS-B in and out at the time so I already had all the floor panels and aft bulkhead out when I ordered the AOA kit.

The instructions are good and help is a phone call away. Van's gives excellent phone help.
Just passed 140 hours flight time in RV-12, and 10,000 hours mostly in corporate jets. I am a CFI; CFII; MEI; and a advancd Ground Instructor, CFIG; and hoping to be able to help new RV-12 owners by doing some transition training for new builders and owners in RV-12's.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:08 AM

Default Dynon AOA in spinner

Anyone of you tried this AOA/pitot combination?

https://www.dynonavionics.com/includ...Dimensions.pdf

It saves the hassle of hull/wing attach points, and looks to have dimensions that could fit right out of the box?
Bought project & building RV12 #120742
Old 01-31-2019, 11:30 AM

To be perfectly honest... I fly my legacy 12 and also a newer 12 with dual HDX and AOA. The chirping from the AOA is enough to drive you crazy. And when coupled with the stall warning on landing - kinda makes you want to get out and walk. If you set stab trim and power for a stabilized approach it is very easy to monitor IAS. Approach should be stabilized for IAS, power, stab trim, and be on runway centerline as you turn from base to final.

Just my opinion - don't shoot me...
EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2007
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC N86203
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub N6841H
RV-12 E-LSA #120058 AWC July 2012 N633CM
RV-12 Bought Flying Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 459

LSRM-A Certificate 2016
Special Thanks... EJ Trucks - Crew Chief A-4 Skyhawk
MJ Stricker (Father & CFI) - 1st Lt. Captain B-17H
Old 01-31-2019, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper J3 View Post
To be perfectly honest... I fly my legacy 12 and also a newer 12 with dual HDX and AOA. The chirping from the AOA is enough to drive you crazy. And when coupled with the stall warning on landing - kinda makes you want to get out and walk. If you set stab trim and power for a stabilized approach it is very easy to monitor IAS. Approach should be stabilized for IAS, power, stab trim, and be on runway centerline as you turn from base to final.

Just my opinion - don't shoot me...
Hmm. I set up AoA on mine, using methods posted here well before Van's made their retrofit kit available. It's an older RV-12 with a D180 panel. After calibration it's pretty nice. I disconnected the stall warning entirely. The AoA was useless until after I calibrated it, which was fairly simple. Maybe yours isn't well calibrated? You can also adjust the volume. I actually need to bump mine up a little, it's not quite loud enough. I hear it fine, because I'm listening for it, but it's not loud enough to really grab your attention.

Omaha, NE
RV-12 # 222 N980KM "Screamin' Canary" (bought flying)
Fisher Celebrity (under construction)
Previous RV-7 project (sold)
Old 01-31-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper J3 View Post
...And when coupled with the stall warning on landing - kinda makes you want to get out and walk.
Jim, Iím with you, and that is why Iíll be omitting the standard stall warning on mine, AoA is a much better system as is widely acknowledged. Of course adjust the audio volume so that you are aware of it but not overwhelmed or too annoyed by it.

I think the real value of any sort of stall warning is not in standard straight ahead landings, but rather in warning of an impending accelerated stall in non-routine situations where you might not expect it.
RV-8, first flight 2001 - sold