What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6 invert fuel tanks option

billytime1

Well Known Member
On plans for #2 rib a trap door is for inverted or unusual flight... Anyone consider doing the mod to that rib and move sender unit as per sk's. I'm building for non inverted tanks... But want to install the options. Would it be prudent to modify the rib for either configuration??? Does it seem logical to trap the fuel in the bay that has the pickup?? I'm a rookie builder so I may not ask good questions but I gotta ask!

Trap door

The trap door is an easy mod. I put them on both tanks. The only tricky part is the hinge pin. One option is to bend an "L" on the baffle side of the pin then cut it long enough so it can't slide out without hitting the baffle. Also put a shim under the top half of the hinge so the flap falls flat against the tank rib hole. Finally, cut the flapper too big and trim it ti fit after the assembly is riveted in place.
Sorry, mine are capacitive sender so no unit to move.

Thanks larry. With regards to the hinge pin... An old racecar guy told me to pull the pin and use the next size smaller stainless steel welding rod. The smaller diameter wire really allows the hinge to be more free without compromising safety. Thanks again and I may go with caps.. The wings I have already came with the float assembly.. I may use what's there to be practical.. Although.....what's practical about building a airplane.....

Does it seem logical to trap the fuel in the bay that has the pickup??

Not if you don't intend to actually use the modifications for inverted capability.

Simpler is usually always more reliable and trouble free. Regardless what measures you might use to try and make it as reliable as possible, it is still adding a moving part that is not necessary.
If you add the flop tube as well, then you are adding even more complexity, weight, cost, extra work, something else to maintain... for something that will not produce any benefit.

Back