What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Which landing lights?

larrys

Well Known Member
Hope you guys can help.
I am building a 14A and have the quick build wings. I built the lens and installed the bracket in the wing for the landing lights. I realize now it might have been better to not install the bracket that holds the lights until I get them.

My question now is which very bright LED landing lights fit the bracket supplied with the quick build wings.

Thanks, Larry

Largely depends on your budget. On the inexpensive side, I have used TrustFire flash light with great success and required little work to get them installed. Many, including myself, have also used Rigid LED lights again with great success. Or you can spend north of $800 on other brands.

Do they install directly into the bracket supplied for the lights from Van's? And why would you not install both landing lights assuming the taxi lights are dimmer?
Thanks, Larry

Landing lights and taxi lights are identical, I think, except for a fresnel lens on the face of the taxi light that directs the light horizontally - i.e., it makes the beam much wider than tall. It makes it easier to see the edges of the runway/taxiway. My deal at Oshkosh was a couple of taxi lights that had the fresnel lens overlay installed 90 degrees off, so they could not be sold to certified aircraft. No problem in our light holders . . . and I got them for $100 each. :D

Back