What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rear Seat Rudder Pedal Installation

Anna

Hi everybody!

We are on to install the Rear Seat Rudder Pedals on our RV-8 QB.

I?ve got a question concerning the F-8117 Guide Bracket installation. We found pre-drilled holes on the bottom of Bulkhead F-804. I think these holes are for the nutplate installation, right?

We copied these holes to the top of the F-804 Bulkhead. If we install a MS21051-L08 nutplate (like shown in drawing OP-5), the hole doesn?t align with the second screw in the F-804 Bulkhead. The K1000-08 would fit perfectly. How did you do that? Maybe the drawing is not the latest revision?

Does every RV-8 have these pre-drilled holes in the bottom of the F-804 Bulkhead?

By the way ? what is the right drill bit for the screw hole?

Thanks for your help!

Kind regards
Anna

Anna,
Since no one else has replied, I'll take a stab at trying to help you. FYI, in the future, try to use the exact part number for the part you are referring to. Regarding the portion of the F-804 assembly where the mounting nut plates for the rear seat rudder pedal mounts attach, are you referring to the F-804B-1 assembly? Refer to Dwg 11.
My kit is much older and I am working from Dwg 11 revision 1. What is the revision number of your Dwg 11? What revision number is your Rear Seat Rudder Pedal drawing? I will have to go to my shop to view my Rear Seat Rudder Pedal drawing. I don't have a PDF copy of it, here, at home.
Regarding the hole size for a #8 nut plate. Initially drill the center hole to #30. This will allow you to use a 1/8" [copper] cleco to hold the nut plate to the F-804B-1. Do NOT drill that hole to finished size until you have drilled the holes for the rivets which will hold the nut plate to the F-804B-1. With the nut plate held in place by the 1/8" cleco, use the nut plate as a guide to drill the #40 holes for the rivets which will hold the nut plate to the F-804B-1. Drill the first #40 hole and install a 3/32" [silver] cleco. Drill the second #40 hole. Now you can drill the screw
hole out from #30 to the finished size of a #19 drill [.166" diameter]
I ask about your revision number of Dwg 11, because as I remember, those brackets were originally intended to be riveted to the F-804B-1, F-863-L & F-863-R. They were not held on with screws and nut plates. When I installed mine, I chose to use #8 screws and nut plates, to make installation and removal of the rear rudder pedals quick and easy. I felt that they could be left out of the aircraft most of the time, as your rear seat passenger would not be a licensed pilot.
Charlie
PS You can see my installation linked below

http://www.vansairforce.com/communi...7621&highlight=Rear+seat+rudder+pedals&page=2

Last edited:
Me too

Anna,

Sorry for not responding sooner. I am guessing you may have already moved on.

I have a matched hole fuselage and I had the same confusion. I believe that the OP-5 drawing is simply out of date.

From memory, my F-804A-2 had holes in it for the nutplates that I match drilled to the upper F-804B-2. I too found that the holes did not line up with the MS21051-L08 nutplates as shown in the OP-5 drawing. I will use two K1000-08 nutplates.

I haven?t done it yet, but I am planning on match drilling the F-8117-L/R to the F-804 center section after I have it screwed to the F-880A Fwd Seat Ramp. I don?t have the seat ramp done yet.

A #19 drill bit works well for #8 screws. I have a cheat sheet for aircraft hardware because I get confused as to what HW goes with what. http://www.billfinnell.com/mechanical/ac_hw.html

I have clearence issues on mine

The nut plates will not be like on the drawing op5 dated 6/15/98

oops

refering to view CC , my k1000 nutplate is straight. so I may have to use a corner nut plate instead of the ms21051

Last edited:
great fix/mod

ahh I cut off the horizantal flange on the guide bracket and riveted on a wider one that captures the seat base flange nutplate. I could have made a new guide bracket as well; less fasteners, stronger and no new holes actually one less I did not have to add. Should be on the plans this way.

Back