What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Crush Ring on magnetic plug?

Cleaned My Mag plug today and found there to be no crush ring. Is there supposed to be one and if so what is the part number. Thanks in advance.

Mike ... don't remember there being a washer on the magnetic plug. A quick look at the illustrated parts catalog will verify that I'm pretty sure.

I use the same type as is on the tank drain plug on mine. The engine was delivered with a crush gasket. If yours doesn?t leak without one I wouldn?t worry about it.

Crush Washer

I just went through this same dilemma. While changing my oil last month I discovered that the magnetic plug on the gearbox did not include a crush washer. I was sure that I had forgotten it at the last oil change. I rooted through my parts and found a bag with one crush washers in it that was labeled "Magnetic Plug" and it fit, so I installed it. While at Oshkosh this year, I visited the Lockwood Aviation booth and asked for a supply of new ones. They searched their inventory, searched the parts diagrams and came up with nothing. Finally, they called and spoke with their Rotax technical department at Sebring and were assured that there is no crush washer intended for that plug. Long story to a short question, but the answer from the professionals is that:
"No Crush Washer Is Intended on The Magnetic Plug"

By the way, the oil tank drain plug crush washer is a pretty good fit, and I can't see any harm in adding it. ..............Tom

I never rely on my memory when working on the ROTAX. That's what the current illustrated parts manual is for. Keep all five of the PDF manuals on my iPad in hanger.

I use the same type as is on the tank drain plug on mine. The engine was delivered with a crush gasket. If yours doesn’t leak without one I wouldn’t worry about it.

The only crush gasket (AN900 style) that is used on the Rotax 912, and would have been installed when delivered new is the one on the oil tank drain plug.

The magnetic plug is a large flange plug and does not use any type of crush gasket or washer.

Scott, since it?s been over six years since my engine was delivered I?ll take your word for it, but I would have sworn it had a gasket. Bottom line is if it doesn?t leak with or without why sweat it?😜

Back