What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV8 wing swap (Old Style, non-Dash 1)

judoka5051

Well Known Member
Hey All,

I've been reading through the threads and found some interesting info (as always!) It sounds like the Dash 1 wings and the center sections are all exactly the same. However, the early non-Dash 1 wings were match drilled to the center section as a matched set. Is this correct?

I also read that the Dash 1 wings will not fit a non-Dash 1 fuse, so no go on that idea...

Here's my problem. I'm done repairing the mistakes of a previous builder on the fuselage, and REALLY want to get the plane in the air. I see there's a pair of non Dash 1 wings for sale (QB), and I'd really like to buy them to hurry up completion.

It sounds like the wings may not be plug and play, but I have a hard time believing that. Even if they used a basic jig and simple drill they should all be nearly identical. Am I missing something?

Thought I'd ask before I pulled the trigger.

Thanks, Lance

I had similar questions when I bought my older quick built wings from a private seller. the guys at Van's, while not wanting to discuss or be responsible for anything to do with previous owner of said wings, were more than happy to tell me if the wings I had would work on my kit, by comparing builder numbers.

I'd say, as long as your wing seller is the builder of record with Vans, and provides you with his builder number, you can get the definitive answer from Vans.

Back