What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wingtip streamers / vapes?

Have you seen wingtip vapors form on your RV?

• Yes, it's pretty common

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but only rarely

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • No, but others told have seen them on my plane

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • No, never

Votes: 15 28.3%
  • I like bacon

Votes: 33 62.3%

• Total voters

ChiefPilot

Well Known Member
Several times when flying with different friends doing some "Aerobatic Choreographic Maneuvers", I've been told several times that they could see streamers coming off my wingtip, extending back sometimes only about 3' and sometimes significantly more than that. I finally caught a glimpse of them myself (I'm usually busy looking elsewhere) and was kind of surprised to see them. I was just over the top on an oblique turn/pitchback, pulling about 5g at the time and just riding "on the boulders" as they say.

Conditions must be just right, etc. of course but I'm wondering who else has seen this on their RV and how frequently? It looks cool but so far I've not been able to get it on camera.

Had to choose no, never but I was thinking "no, not yet"
I was hoping I could choose two answers, because I like bacon too.
Actually, one of my favorite bumper stickers reads: "Either you like bacon, or you're wrong." :)

I live in an area where it is considered "muggy" when the humidity reaches double digits. So no. But I have seen them off the prop when I was in Florida recently.

I like bacon too. Also, have not seen anything off my wings as there is no fuselage for them to be attached to. ;)

In my day job, I often see vapour forming off the props when conditions are just right.

I think you would have to be pulling hard to see any on an RV.

Propeller tips do it nicely, the engine fan intakes on our stuff fog as the power comes on.

It is common to see them on our heavy metal, the A330 streams beautifully from it's wing tips on takeoff when heavy in warmer climates.

If you watch 737's on approach, they stream from the end of the flap, here is the interesting thing, as soon as the flight load stops on touchdown, they detach from the flap instantly.

Do a search for the Thunderbird ejection - he was streaming hard just before he became a potato peeler......... ;)

I think you would have to be pulling hard to see any on an RV.

Propeller tips do it nicely, the engine fan intakes on our stuff fog as the power comes on.

It is common to see them on our heavy metal, the A330 streams beautifully from it's wing tips on takeoff when heavy in warmer climates.

If you watch 737's on approach, they stream from the end of the flap, here is the interesting thing, as soon as the flight load stops on touchdown, they detach from the flap instantly.

Do a search for the Thunderbird ejection - he was streaming hard just before he became a potato peeler......... ;)

For sure the aircraft needs to be loaded up and near it's max AoA. I was just surprised to hear about them then finally see them coming off an RV. Typically they form only on something that has a much higher wing loading.

Flap/prop/etc. streamers look neat but don't reflect a maneuvering aircraft. I was thinking more about streamers that form when you're max performing the aircraft, or close to it, as I was in the original post.

Workin' hard for the snapshot...

Finally got it captured on camera. I'm working hard for the snapshot on humid Minnesota summer day, pulling almost 5G...

19918220471_aec56e848c_o.jpg

Back