What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Extra Fuel

Stroh21

Well Known Member
Hello VAF!

Silly new guy question... Has anyone put an extra fuel tank in the front baggage compartment? I'm still learning about the RV-8 and my imagination cooked up this idea. I'm not looking to do any modifications, just curious if anyone else has?

Matt

It's crossed my mind, but seems unnecessary considering the ease, availability and safety of wing tip tanks. With the price of fuel these days too, the trend seems to be to pull the power back, run LOP up high and get 7gph, which is still 5 hours in the air realistically. Shy of a relief tube mentioned in other threads, I can't go that long in the air at once.;)

Reminds me of all the WW1 planes we hear stories about fuel tanks catching fire and burning the pilot alive. Granted, we're also not getting shot at. I flew a Fleet Canuck with the fuel tank mounted in that same position, and I'm still alive.

Extra fuel tank

Bill Randolph - Around the World by RV-8

Details
Written by Kevin Horton
Published: 14 April 2005
Hits: 2039
General News
I stumbled across an on-going story about another RV-8 builder that you may be interested in. 76 year old Bill Randolph is in the midst of an around-the-world flight attempt in his RV-8. He built the plane himself, and added fuel tanks in the rear cockpit and in one or both baggage areas. He left his home in California on March 9th, and headed south-east to Brazil. He crossed the Atlantic from north-eastern Brazil to Dakar in Africa. He got stuck in Dubai for a few days, went through India, and is now stuck in Thailand, after blowing two tires on landing. He will be there until new tires and tubes arrive.

You can read the background here and here. His EAA chapter is posting updates on Bill Randolf's progress, as news arrives from his wife.

God speed Bill.

Details
Written by Kevin Horton
General News
I stumbled across an on-going story about another RV-8 builder that you may be interested in. 76 year old Bill Randolph is in the midst of an around-the-world flight attempt in his RV-8. He built the plane himself, and added fuel tanks in the rear cockpit and in one or both baggage areas. He left his home in California on March 9th, and headed south-east to Brazil. He crossed the Atlantic from north-eastern Brazil to Dakar in Africa. He got stuck in Dubai for a few days, went through India, and is now stuck in Thailand, after blowing two tires on landing. He will be there until new tires and tubes arrive.

You can read the background here and here. His EAA chapter is posting updates on Bill Randolf's progress, as news arrives from his wife.

Go, Bill, we are with you..God speed and safe return. Yours R.E.A. III #80888

Details
Written by Kevin Horton
General News

Your "here and here" links didn't work for me.

I have two 5-gallon tanks in the front baggage compartment. I normally use one for smoke and one for fuel but they are connected via a ball valve so I can use both for fuel if necessary.

Back