VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 07-23-2019, 09:35 AM

Default Parking brake

Not sure if there is a "standard" parking brake system for the RV-7. I recently finished installing the Matco PVPV-D valve on a bracket in the upper left corner
(viewed from the pilot seat) of the firewall and it was a PITA trying to establish a good location for the valve.

If I was doing it again, I would consider building a simple 90 degree bracket bolted to the top of the F-6116 rudder pedal bearing block (Beringer locates their parking valve this way). You'll need extra hoses no matter where you locate the valve.
Old 07-23-2019, 10:59 AM

Default Almost an accident

My buddy was test flying an 8 that had a parking brake valve, but the builder didnít tell him about. Somehow it vibrated partially on, and after a normal landing, turning off the runway, the brakes slowly stuck on and the plane came to a stop. If before landing he did a brake check to verify the pedals were firm, I imagine it would have nosed over on touchdown.
Baby Lakes flying
Old 07-23-2019, 11:17 AM

I flew my -6A for years without a parking brake. Had a routine down, hold brakes, throw chocks on the ground next to left main, exit quickly, catch airplane, use chocks. One day a friend said why donít you have a parking brake? I had no good response. Next chance installed one. Wouldnít go back.
Be sure to add to your pre taxi checklist.
N199EC RV6A flying
Learn the facts. "Democracy dies in darkness"
Old 07-23-2019, 12:38 PM

Yes
plus some extra words to meet the requirement for posting
Dues paid
Old 07-24-2019, 02:19 AM

I didn't want to start a discussion if a parking brake is necessary or not. question was if somebody installed something like that (not the parking brake valve Vans sells):

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performan...63028/10002/-1

would appreciate if anybody could share some experiences. Looks like a neat idea.
Old 07-24-2019, 01:55 PM

Most 7/9s we plumb dont have PB valves. Most 10s do, 14As are about 50/50, 14TD generally not.

Tom
Proud Vendor for RV1, Donator to VAF
RV7 Tail Kit Completed, Fuse started-Pay as I go Plan
Ridgeland, SC
www.tsflightlines.com, www.asflightlines.com
Old 07-24-2019, 07:26 PM

The Jegs valve seems like it could work but since it isn't cable actuated then the issue of where you locate it comes up. I'm guessing you would need to put it in the center tunnel area.
* Rolled the Fuselage
RV-7 SB Wings
* Both Wings fully skinned
* Fuel Tanks Complete - No leaks finally
* Ailerons Complete
* Flaps Complete
RV-7 Empennage - Complete (a little fiberglass work left)
Vans Training Kit # 2 - Complete
Shop Setup - In Progress (Gathering Tools, Never Complete)
RV-7 Preview Plans
Vans Training Kit #1 - Complete
EAA Sheet Metal Class - Complete
Old 07-24-2019, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrye View Post
Not sure if there is a "standard" parking brake system for the RV-7. I recently finished installing the Matco PVPV-D valve on a bracket in the upper left corner
(viewed from the pilot seat) of the firewall and it was a PITA trying to establish a good location for the valve.

If I was doing it again, I would consider building a simple 90 degree bracket bolted to the top of the F-6116 rudder pedal bearing block (Beringer locates their parking valve this way). You'll need extra hoses no matter where you locate the valve.
I mounted my brake valve in the same location as the vans bracket on the firewall. Used the standard hoses, just had to bend the hard lines a little differently.
RV-6A #20603
N616CG
Complete 5/10/19
PP SEL / A&P
I donate every year on my B-Day (in Dec)
Old 07-25-2019, 10:13 AM

Default RV-4 Odd Brakes?

I purchased an RV-4 without a parking brake. I have about 800 hrs on it and discovered soon after starting to fly with it that by pulling on the rudder wires on either side I could apply the brakes. I have Cleveland masters and reviewed the build diagrams for brakes and the installation seemed to be more or less standard. It does have rudder pedal extensions for the back seat which probably is a factor in this. I really didn't see a down side to this condition since I could not come up with a scenario in which it would be a problem. The upside is that by connecting a bungee cord of appropriate length to the back seat rudder pedal extensions and wrapping it around the back seat stick I have both a control lock and a parking brake. I have done this several times on temporary stops, but it doesn't help much parking in strong winds.