What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 Conundrum

David Z

Well Known Member
I haven't been on this forum in a while mostly due to life situation. I have a RV-8 wing and tail kit, done up to the pre-close inspection. I started building my plane in London Ontario. Then work had me hopping all over Manitoba and Ontario for a couple years, and now I am finally settling down in Thunder Bay. My problem is the very small general aviation community here. There are a couple 172s, Cherokees and the like, but that's it. Certainly no active home-buil community like I was used to in London.

My wife and I are buying a house with a nice 1.5 car garage. There is certantly room to move the project up here, buy the fuselage kit and continue building. She is also supportive of this project. However, without a general aviation friendly airport and no builder community, it becomes very difficult endeavour and really isn't within my means. For example, the airport authority recommended I build my own hangar as they said there aren't any available.

I am really hoping there is someone in the area who can point me in a direction that makes this realistic and feasible. A building partner would be great! If I can't make this come together, I will unfortunately be forced to sell the project.

Hi David, no problem with support and building help here (Thunder Bay), three RV9's completed, one 14 well underway, a couple of 7's that have left the area, we need an 8 project! Call anytime 807 983 2673

Hello,
That's wonderful news, thank-you!

Where are the other RVs kept and built in Thunder Bay once they're past the garage stage? The Kakabeka Falls field is a bit far and too small for my comfort level.

I'm working all weekend, but I should be able to call sometime on Monday. It will be great to talk to other builders and help each other out.

Back