- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Safety
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2018, 07:28 AM

Default Plane Ownership & Complacency

I see this often since I spend so much time now at the airport hanger working on my -9A. (KGDW is a very nice rural airport but has little activity) I see so many pilots who own their own planes do a VERY limited pre-flight inspection, if they even bother to do one at all! Last weekend on Sunday took the cake for me. I could not believe what I had witnessed. The owner drove in, opened his hanger, pulled out his plane, (not an EXP), closed his hanger up, hopped in, started his engine and immediately began to taxi. He did not even bother to use the taxi-way. Cut across the grass to the runway and just took off. No pre-flight inspection, no run-up or mag check,,,,nothing! Not even a radio call! About an hour later an incoming plane announces his position and intentions and advises their is a second incoming plane with inoperative radio, his buddy who took off earlier. I think a lot of people who own their own planes feel since they are the only ones flying the plane, they know it well enough to get away with this type of stuff. Wrong!

RV-9A: Under Construction. N161RV (Reserved)
RV-10: N959RV Completed 12/29/2013 SOLD 08/23/2016

"Donor Exempt" but donated through Dec. 2018
Old 06-05-2018, 07:44 AM

I saw something similar at a flight club a month ago. Was doing my flight review at a local flight training center and the chief instructor said that "they fill the planes with fuel every night and hangar them, so nobody ever sumps the tanks during a preflight". He also implied that if I wanted to do it, I had to bring my own equipment.
Old 06-05-2018, 08:15 AM

Default So they TEACH complacency!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zampano View Post
I saw something similar at a flight club a month ago. Was doing my flight review at a local flight training center and the chief instructor said that "they fill the planes with fuel every night and hangar them, so nobody ever sumps the tanks during a preflight". He also implied that if I wanted to do it, I had to bring my own equipment.
I would be inclined to find another instructor!
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>
North Texas (8TA5)
RV-6 Flying since 1993, 172hp O-320, 3-Blade Catto (since 2003)
Legend Cub purchased 12/2017
FRIEND of the RV-1
Eagle's Nest Mentor
Old 06-05-2018, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zampano View Post
That would pretty much end any working relationship with that instructor and the flight right there.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:03 AM

What I find most interesting about this kind of stuff is the group-think psychology at work. It seems like people often see someone else doing something, so they think "well I guess it must be okay," and start following suit. The story about the flight instructor saying there's no need to sump the tanks because the aircraft were in the hangar overnight and that's how we do it here, is amazing.

I think in flying it's good to try to learn what's generally prescribed as safe and why, and after that you need to have a resistant, independent streak that causes you to resist the urge to follow what someone else might be doing unless you reach your own, independent conclusion it's safe.

I was at a fairly active uncontrolled field, with a flight club and flight instruction going on. It seemed like most people coming into the field pretty much did the usual pattern entries you'd expect (downwind, crosswind, upwind). Then one of the guys in the club starting doing straight in approaches as a matter of routine. Now I realize they are legal, and you especially see them being done by commercial operations who are on a schedule and flying larger, high fuel-burning aircraft, and maybe by guys flying IFR approaches. However, IMO they are not really preferred or a good idea from a safety standpoint if not justified for some reason, particularly for people who are just on VFR pleasure flights with no real time constraints in small aircraft that don't burn much fuel.

I could have sworn that after that more and more people around the field were doing straight in approaches and it was becoming more common. Finally, one of the more senior guys who wasn't part of the club, and happened to be entering the pattern when this guy was doing one of his straight-in approaches, openly took the guy to task on the ground after landing, saying "we don't do straight in approaches here."

Obviously, he had no real right to dictate what another pilot could or couldn't do provided his behavior was within the law, but I thought it was good. We're fortunate to still have aviation regulations that provide us with some latitude and discretion. But that being the case, I think the need is there to speak out when appropriate and use social pressures to try to get people to conform with what's safe for everyone. Social influences can work both ways.

Last edited by precession : 06-05-2018 at 10:05 AM.
Old 06-05-2018, 06:54 PM

Many times before a planned flight I will come out to the airport the evening before when I have no deadlines and no reason to rush so I can take my time to do a thorough preflight. Perhaps that's what this gentleman did as well.
Old 06-05-2018, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asw20c View Post
Many times before a planned flight I will come out to the airport the evening before when I have no deadlines and no reason to rush so I can take my time to do a thorough preflight. Perhaps that's what this gentleman did as well.
You should always check the tank quantity, sump the tanks. And check the oil before a flight in the morning, even if a preflight is performed the night before.

Water can separate from even 100LL or condense in the tanks. Someone could get into your hangar and syphon your fuel, or worse. (I once had someone drain some fuel from my plane at a lunch stop.)
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 06-05-2018, 08:04 PM

i should probably stop doing everything the day/night before a trip. Would not want anyone thinking i am not following the “rules”.

Just because you did not witness something, it does not mean it did not happen.

These type of post don't add value to this community. If you are that bothered by what you saw, please go speak to that person.

Let us keep this positive and mininize the assumptions.
VAF 2018 paid VAF 704
The information that I post is just that; information and my own personal experiences. You need to weight out the pros and cons and make up your own mind/decisions. The pictures posted may not show the final stage or configuration. Build at your own risk.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX-O View Post
i should probably stop doing everything the day/night before a trip. Would not want anyone thinking i am not following the “rules”.

Just because you did not witness something, it does not mean it did not happen.

These type of post don't add value to this community. If you are that bothered by what you saw, please go speak to that person.

Let us keep this positive and mininize the assumptions.
There is no assumption here. I know what saw. The value to the community here is remind fellow aviators to NOT get complacent with their aircraft. The very least someone should do is sump the tanks and do a mag check. In my book, a pre-flight the day before a flight does not carry over to the next day. I put that in the same catagory of "progressive condition inspections".

RV-9A: Under Construction. N161RV (Reserved)
RV-10: N959RV Completed 12/29/2013 SOLD 08/23/2016

"Donor Exempt" but donated through Dec. 2018
Old 06-06-2018, 05:42 AM

Default Preflight

I agree with both Axel and David. Let's not jump the gun and criticize unless we know all the facts but if someone wants to act like an idiot who am I to stop them, "whatever melts your butter".... There are a lot of stupid people in the world, just don't be one of them.

On the other hand, probably not a good idea to get complacent and just jump in and go. These are not cars & we can't pull over to to the side of the road if we have an issue. I am the only one that flys my RV-4, it is kept in a single locked hangar and I know no one has touched it since the day before. But like most of you (or probably all) I do a thorough preflight every flight. One time I was working on the airplane, got it all back together, put all the tools away (or so I thought) and went home for the night. The next day I drove out to the hangar to go fly and guess what I found on the back seat? A small hammer and a set of pliers I used to gently tap the hinge pin back into the hinge that holds the back seat frame to the floor. Who knows what kind of damage they would have done to the canopy or the back of my head or worse.

Like Axel, I like to get the airplane ready the day before if I can but that doesn't mean you just "kick the tires, light the fires, brief on Gaurd, first one in the air is the leader".

Don't be too quick to judge but let's be smart out there........
"Sure is nice to have smart friends"
2018 dues paid

Last edited by olyolson : 06-06-2018 at 05:45 AM.