What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Getting the ADS-B rebate

David Paule

Well Known Member
I recently had my Cessna's transponder replaced with an L-3 Lynx 9000. I wanted to get it done now both because I was worried that the lead time would be too long as we got closer to 2020, and because I wanted to take advantage of the FAA's rebate. You can see the FAA's process here.

Once the installer gave me a date to do the work, I filled out the interactive checklist in Step 2. The FAA sent me a Rebate Reservation Code in an email. I saved it.

Then I took the plane to the shop and a week later, flew it home.

The next thing is to fly a test flight. The requirements are in the FAA's Advisory Circular AC 20-165B, which you can find and download. The description of what to do is on pages 43-45.

It wasn't that hard to plan the flight but I had to think about what I was going to do and what they were asking. When I realized that the climb and approach configurations didn't necessarily require actual climbing or descending, that helped. Still, some of the points were at different altitudes so some of that was included anyway. I changed the order of the test points to simplify the various configuration changes.

I made a test card from that and flew these points, adjusting some altitudes and speeds to suit the conditions. I wanted to stay below oxygen altitudes and had to lower my maximum speed due to turbulence, for example. That might not apply to you, but out here the ground is around 5,000 feet MSL.

After I got home, I went back to the FAA site and opened the 4th tab to fill out the interactive rebate request. Although the questions at first appeared intimidating, the site was actually quite helpful. It narrowed the options based on previous choices. The site seems well-designed; it's good to know that sometimes the FAA can get it right.

Within minutes, I got a confirmation that the flight test and the new equipment I'd had installed were satisfactory. The FAA emailed me an Incentive Code.

Using these and Step 5 on the FAA's site, I filed for the rebate. The next morning, an automatic email from the FAA had arrived, saying that I should expect the rebate in 4 to 6 weeks.

And that was it.

Dave
RV-3B skinning the fuselage now

The next thing is to fly a test flight. The requirements are in the FAA's Advisory Circular AC 20-165B, which you can find and download. The description of what to do is on pages 43-45.

It wasn't that hard to plan the flight but I had to think about what I was going to do and what they were asking. When I realized that the climb and approach configurations didn't necessarily require actual climbing or descending, that helped. Still, some of the points were at different altitudes so some of that was included anyway. I changed the order of the test points to simplify the various configuration changes.

I made a test card from that and flew these points, adjusting some altitudes and speeds to suit the conditions. I wanted to stay below oxygen altitudes and had to lower my maximum speed due to turbulence, for example. That might not apply to you, but out here the ground is around 5,000 feet MSL.

It seems the FAA is quite lenient about the validation flight requirements. I looked at the "requirements" in AC 20 and didn't really want to mess up HSV's Class C airspace with all the maneuvering.

Consequently, I went outside their airspace and flew my version of the flight with minimal altitude excursions. Here is the track of the twenty-minute "$500" flight:

ADS-B_flight.jpg

Within minutes I had a report that stated the Stratus ESG performed perfectly but my flight was "outside ADS-B service area". I fully expected that result but the report also said to not repeat the flight because it would be reviewed in 2-3 days and I would be advised as to what to do. Three days later I received an email stating I was good to submit the request for the rebate, no incentive code required.

My rebate arrived a week later.

My experience is not unique, I have heard of other pilots who successfully requested the rebate without jumping through all the hoops of AC 20. If flying the "official" validation flight isn't practical, don't hesitate to roll your own within radar coverage and request the performance report. Most likely the rebate will still be honored after review of the flight.

Last edited:
I'm just starting the process for my RV7A

I ordered and received my Garmin GTX 335 and then applied for my rebate reservation code and, like Dave, quickly got my reservation code from the FAA which gives me 60 days to get it installed.

Since it's being installed in an experimental I planned on doing the work myself. However, I quickly discovered there is a little more to it than just moving a few d-sub pins and installation of an ads-b antenna.

Thank goodness Steinair (who I purchased my GTX 335 from) is willing to build me a conversion harness (which is the technical challenge that concerned me because of wire and space limitations and the wiring up of a configuration module chip). Once I get that harness I will do the installation hopefully without too much of a challenge. Of course since this is an owner installation I also need to schedule a 91.411 (altimeter) and 91.413 (transponder) check with an avionics shop.

The test flight requirement however will not be delayed because of the 91.413 check but flying IFR is restricted until that is done. Thankfully both checks are due soon anyway which is one reason I'm doing this now and not waiting. I like the idea of creating a test card to ensure I accomplish the required maneuvers.

Everyone has their own reasons for choosing the ads-b equipment they are installing. In my case the decision was based upon these reasons.
1. My two 430 Nav/comms are both non-WAAS.
2. My existing GTX 330 is non-ES.
3. The cost of upgrading this equipment was $4,000 for each 430 gps and $1,300 for the GTX 330.
4. I already have ads-b in via a FlightBox wifi to my iPad and also hard wired to my GRT Horizon WS.
5. Garmin has a sale going on for the GTX 335 that's priced at $2,995. The package includes antenna, mounting rack and installation kit. A significant savings over what it cost earlier this year.
6. The GTX 335 is a 1090 MHz transponder which allows greater operating parameters than the 978 MHz transponder.
7. Keeping my Nav/comm, audio system, and transponder all Garmin products I hope, will over the long term, help keep the airplane's value up but I realize that is no guarantee.
8. Finally, the FAA $500 rebate along with selling my GTX 330 to someone who has a WAAS gps Nav/comm (where the cost of ES upgrade makes economic sense) should bring me real close to the cost of an experimental only ads-b system that does not qualify for the rebate program.

As we know, it's all about money.

GTX 335

I ordered and received my Garmin GTX 335 and then applied for my rebate reservation code and, like Dave, quickly got my reservation code from the FAA which gives me 60 days to get it installed.

Since it's being installed in an experimental I planned on doing the work myself. However, I quickly discovered there is a little more to it than just moving a few d-sub pins and installation of an ads-b antenna.

Thank goodness Steinair (who I purchased my GTX 335 from) is willing to build me a conversion harness .....

As we know, it's all about money.

I just ordered a GTX 335 yesterday for my certified Tiger. Garmin has a promotion on to the end of the year that includes a dedicated ADSSB compliant GPS and lets it be A&P installed on certified planes instead of a Garmin dealer.

In the Tiger case the harness is almost non-existent. I'm buying the neat altitude encoder that goes on the back of the transponder tray and that gets 4 wires, the literature seems to say they provide a 4 wire USB socket and all that is needed extra for my Tiger is power and ground, and two new RG400 cables to the new GPS antenna and the old, existing transponder antenna - easy-peasey I think...:) Most existing wires out and removed with power-ground re-used from the KT-76A.

Besides simplifying the wiring, the new alt. encoder lets me retire a 35 year old Narco unit with it's parallel wiring.

The promotion - https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/garmin_gtx335-11-15034.php

The new small encoder -

11-14162.jpg

Gil

There is a module chip in the kit that also requires wiring up. You need to talk to someone about wiring this up. It's my understanding that this module chip is where all user transponder settings are stored (not in the transponder itself like the older models). It also acts as a security device in case someone steals the transponder, in that the unit will not work (I'm told) if plugged into a different mounting rack (i.e. different coded chip).

Gil

There is a module chip in the kit that also requires wiring up. You need to talk to someone about wiring this up. It's my understanding that this module chip is where all user transponder settings are stored (not in the transponder itself like the older models). It also acts as a security device in case someone steals the transponder, in that the unit will not work (I'm told) if plugged into a different mounting rack (i.e. different coded chip).

Yes, they call it a configuration chip and it is programmed by the USB connector.

If you get the alt encoder the configuration chip is inside it, so only one set of 4 wires are needed. As far as I can tell from the installation manual, the short 4 wire harnesses to the config/alt module and the USB connector are provided.

When the parts arrive (Wed. or Thurs) I'll add on to my post and report if these two small connectors and wires are in the promotional package. :)

I am about half way through the installation of GTX 345 with GPS in my RV-6A. The install is going well and no issues. I also have the GAE (Garmin Altitude Encoder) option that Gil posted a picture of.

Yes the GTX requires the configuration module. If you get the GAE, then that device contains the GAE as well as the configuration module. The GTX package will also contain the separate stand alone configuration but you will not use it if you are using the GAE. Both the GAE and the configuration module use the same 4-wire interface. The wires are attached to each device, you just need to crimp on the high density d-sub pins.

In the case of the GAE, that device is screwed to the back of the GTX rack. In the case of the configuration module chip, it fits in a special slot that is part of the connector housing that will contain all of the aircraft interface wiring. In either case, the configuration module and information will remain in the aircraft if the GTX is removed.

The included 4-wire USB connector and cable get attached to the pins of the rack's connector. This interface is only used by the software that can update the internal software of the GTX. It is used by the Garmin dealers with the ability to connect to the Dealer Resource Center for this update. The configuration settings that are needed to be input into the GTX can also be done through this interface.

The configuration information and parameters can also be input into the unit via the GTX front panel buttons by the user. Just remember, when asked for length, width, etc. the units are in Meters.

I found the information in Rev 3 of the installation manual better than the current Rev 8. Rev 3 was for the GTX panel mount, and Rev 8 covers all models and all configurations. You just need to carefully look at which section you are looking.

Edit: I needed to install a different Transponder antenna on the bottom of the aircraft. The older antenna was good for the 1090MHZ transponder frequencys, but apparently did not have the bandwidth to also accommodate the 978MHZ UAT frequency. I swapped out the antenna durring my last condition inspection in anticipation of the ADSB work.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Configuration module

Gil and Noel

It was because of the configuration module and the lack of discussion about it in the Garmin Installation Manual that I decided to have SteinAir build me a conversion harness. SteinAir had me mail them back the installation kit with the module so they could complete the harness.

If the Garmin installation manual had discussed this module I might have attempted the wiring my self but lacking any guidance in the manual left me no real option since my avionics knowledge is quite limited. Garmin makes great products but I think they intentionally limit information about them to force people to utilize their distribution networks for installation and servicing (which I guess is one reason experimental folks like experimental market products). People that I know who work on electronics won't touch them due to lack of product information. Oh well, I guess it works for them because I went back to Garmin for my transponder upgrade.

The Rebate Check Arrived In One Week

Wow! One week from the flight and submittal of the forms, my rebate check arrived. It didn't take 4 to 6 weeks after all. Just one.

Dave

Update on my install and REBATE process:

The install of the GTX-345 w/ GPS and GAE option went very smooth. I used the information provided by g3xpert to connect to the Aera 660 using the 660's Bare Wire Connections mount.

My shop performed the configuration, transponder certification, and GAE calibration. All went smoothly and no issues were found. Logbooks were updated.

And now for the ADSB validation flight. The first flight was performed within the KRDU (Raleigh/Durham) Class C airspace. 15 minutes to get there, 35 minutes within their airspace, and 20 minutes to get back to my home field. Later that afternoon I requested the Public ADS-B Performance Report from the FAA rebate program, and got RED boxes on the "AIR-ON-GROUND" segment of the report. A check with my shop revealed the following:

My home field (KTTA) has the ADS-B antennas located near the hangars at our field. If you start up, turn on the radio stack (which I did) and then taxi to the runway, you will get an air on ground failure because the signals will intermittently drop out as you taxi amongst the rows of hangars. Same will happen when landing and taxi back to the hangar.

The avionics shop has seen this on numerious ADSB installs and discussions with GARMIN resulted in this recommendation for the Validation Flight for the ADSB rebate program. "Start up the Aircraft with the ADSB txponder OFF. Perform all pre takeoff task and taxi to the departure end of the runway. As you taxi onto the runway, turn on the txponder. Perform the validation flight. When you return to the airport, land, stop, and turn OFF the txponder. Taxi back to the hangar, and shut down."

For my second flight I did as recommended. My flight within the Class C airspace was 27 minutes (oh no) due the controller vectoring me outside the Class C environment several times due to traffic. (Was this going to cause a problem with the 30 requirement??) When I got home, I requested another Performance Report for this flight. This time, no errors or red flagged boxes. I guess I passed! Again, total flight time was about 60 minutes and it looks like they followed me from liftoff to touchdown.

I waited for 24 hours to receive the General Aviation Incentive Requirements Status (GAIRS) report which should state PASS or FAIL, and the Incentive Code if it did indeed pass. I did not receive a report from the first flight and did not receive a report for the second flight either. Now what?

EAA had been sending out daily highlights of the goings-on at Airventure, and one of the flagged items was "Frequently Asked Questions About FAA ADS-B Rebate". A click on this link and I was rewarded with an email on what to do and a manual check of the flight data would be performed. I pened up a request and sent it off late Saturday afternoon. I was blown away when I received a reply late Saturday evening stating that they "cleared the reservation and that I could proceed to the rebate claim request AND that I did not need the incentive code (it was taken care of).

Off to the Rebate Claim page, fill in the requested info and press "submit".

Today, Monday, I received an email stating a check for the rebate was being processed. HURAY!!

Update status: today is Friday and the rebate check arrived in the mail. WOW! Much quicker than I ever thought would happen.

Last edited:
This is crazy. One of the uses of ADSB is ground control, and the rules are very clear: If you have it installed, you must run it all the time, including on the ground.
"Air on Ground" was explained to me differently (I have no idea what is right): Your ADSB is transmitting in airborne format after you are on the ground. The allowed timing error is quite small. Most simple systems do the change-over after speed (airspeed, GPS ground speed; it varies) drops below some value. I was consistently failing the Air on Ground test. I was also letting it roll on the runway (apparently over the switch over speed). Finally I deliberately braked moderately hard, immediately after touchdown, to a full stop. Then taxied. That passed.

BTW, I have no idea how the FAA determines that you are on the runway. Altitude data?

There are at least 3 ways to sense whether the aircraft is on the ground or not:
1. Squat switch on the landing gear.
2. Airspeed switch.
3. Software analyzes GPS position and altitude and speed
There are ways to fool the system such as turning on the transponder at the beginning of takeoff roll or via a panel mounted ground/air switch. But those methods are probably illegal.
I installed an AIRSPEED SWITCH specifically for my Appareo Stratus ESG. The switch grounds an input on the transponder when the airspeed is faster than about 30 knots. One of the items in the Appareo setup menu is for an air/ground switch. The choices are:
1. None: the aircraft does not have a squat switch
2. Low when on ground: the squat switch is closed when on the ground
3. Low when airborne: the squat switch is closed when airborne
I chose "Low when airborne" because the airspeed switch connects to ground when the airspeed is above the set-point (adjustable).
By the way, I would not connect the airspeed switch into the aircraft static system because it leaks. I had purchased two airspeed switches and they both leaked through the case. So I vented the airspeed switch to the cabin.

GTX335 wiring

Yes, they call it a configuration chip and it is programmed by the USB connector.

If you get the alt encoder the configuration chip is inside it, so only one set of 4 wires are needed. As far as I can tell from the installation manual, the short 4 wire harnesses to the config/alt module and the USB connector are provided.

When the parts arrive (Wed. or Thurs) I'll add on to my post and report if these two small connectors and wires are in the promotional package. :)

Update -

The kit did include the 4 wire harnesses with plugs already attached for both the USB connector and the Altitude Encoder connector. They just require crimping the micro Dsub pins onto the ends of the wires.

In my case the wiring was quite trivial - power, ground, one pin grounded for "auto-ON", 12v keep-alive power, the 4 USB lines and the 4 alt. enc. (or config chip) lines. Two extra lines can go to an OAT sensor to give an optional DA display on the screen.

The unit can be fully configured from the front panel keys following the Installation Manual. I never used the USB connection.

Optional interfaces to the multiple possible Garmin products will make stuff much more complex though.

Last edited:
Back