VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 10-12-2017, 06:48 PM

I've decided to run coloured wire out to the extremities of the aircraft to assist with wire tracing in the future. This is aided by the fact that Stein has a massive range of colours in 22AWG. It's ok for the big lads to run all white wire given that they print circuit designations along the entire length of the cable, but I don't have any fancy printer, so I'm just labeling at the end. I am running into one problem however, and that is getting varied colours in the shielded cable, either a varied outer colour or internal colours. The reason this is important for me is that the Garmin CAN bus will use a white-white/blue wire, but I also have other items that will require twisted shielded pair running to the same device (eg. autopilot servo to trim servo power wire). Does anyone know anyone that stocks anything other than the white-white/blue twisted shielded pair, as Stein and Spruce only have the one configuration listed? Alternatively, if I can't find anything I'm thinking about running a sharpie down the outside off the wire to assist with ID in the future using one of these:
http://m.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/...arkingtool.php
Although $50 is a lot to spend on a piece of plastic. It makes me wish I had a 3D printer.
As another point, does anyone know what the thin plastic strip/ribbon is that is included inside the twisted shielded pair?
Thanks.
Tom.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:53 PM

Several years ago Jim Weir did an article in Kit Planes explaining his method of marking, using clear shrink wrap and 7 different marking colours. He used the colours of resistor markings for numbers. He also had a first number for each of several areas of wiring, such as radio, engine etc.
It looked good to me but I had trouble trying to get the markers and in the end laziness made me just use different coloured heat shrink.
I will see if i can find and post the article.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgmillso View Post
I've decided to run coloured wire out to the extremities of the aircraft to assist with wire tracing in the future. This is aided by the fact that Stein has a massive range of colours in 22AWG. It's ok for the big lads to run all white wire given that they print circuit designations along the entire length of the cable, but I don't have any fancy printer, so I'm just labeling at the end. I am running into one problem however, and that is getting varied colours in the shielded cable, either a varied outer colour or internal colours. The reason this is important for me is that the Garmin CAN bus will use a white-white/blue wire, but I also have other items that will require twisted shielded pair running to the same device (eg. autopilot servo to trim servo power wire). Does anyone know anyone that stocks anything other than the white-white/blue twisted shielded pair, as Stein and Spruce only have the one configuration listed? Alternatively, if I can't find anything I'm thinking about running a sharpie down the outside off the wire to assist with ID in the future using one of these:
http://m.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/...arkingtool.php
Although $50 is a lot to spend on a piece of plastic. It makes me wish I had a 3D printer.
As another point, does anyone know what the thin plastic strip/ribbon is that is included inside the twisted shielded pair?
Thanks.
Tom.

I picked up a Brady printer online while finishing my plane. It makes labeling very easy and you can purchase heat shrink that can have labels printed as well. I just use the 3/4" labels and wrap them around the wire after printing. A little pricey but well worth it for me since I do a lot of wiring for others.
PlanePower Alt, Catto 3 blade NLE, FlightLines Interior, James cowl & plenum
All lines by TSFlightLines (AKA Hoser)
NSDQ

"The object of the game, gentlemen, is not to cheat death: the object is not to let him play."
Patrick Poteen, Sgt. U.S. Army

- - 2016/17 donation compliant - -
Old 10-14-2017, 06:13 AM

Default Heat shrink labeler

First of all I am a tool nut. I look for excuses to buy new tools/toys!
Second +/- $100 is in the mud compared to what I am spending on this build. $100 to make my life easier down the road is a no brainer for me.

This is the nice little heat shrink labeler that I used;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/K-Sun-LABELS...kAAOxygPtS4qhi

$100 for the labeler and about $22 for heat shrink cartridges. I used 2 1/2 cartridges in the entire aircraft. 1/8"heat shrink will fit from #22 up to 4 conductor shielded. I have one cartridge of 3/16" that was used on about 5-10 heavier wires. Post #5 in this thread talks about the labeling convention I used;

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...d.php?t=152279

I also used red for power, green for ground and white for everything else in the main harness. When it came to individual runs (outside of the main harness) I bought about 6 colors and just mixed 'em up to make it easier to follow individual runs (labeled to, of course)
RV Hotel
Dues paid 2017