What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Question re. ADS-B

terrykohler

Well Known Member
I've just installed the Uavionix Echo UAT, and it seems to be working great. I'm aware that as a TSO'd/experimental unit, the device with give me compliance with the 2020 mandate, but is not eligible for the FAA rebate.
I can't find anything on the FAA or Uavionix sites that suggest I need to do a validation flight. Can anyone clarify this?

BTW, unit is Very easy to install - power, ground, one serial line splitting to both my GRTs and another serial line to the GTN650. Set parameters using Wi-Fi, and unit is good to go - self connects wirelessly to my SL70. WOW!
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

To get the rebate, you follow the rules and perform a "validation" flight. If you are not seeking the rebate, then no validation flight is required.

That is not to say don't do one. You can do the flight anyway and still request the report. This will give you the opportunity to verify that there are no errors in the data fields that comprises the ADSB- out data stream.

An avionics shop can also test the unit in "on ground mode" but expect to pay for this service. In my opinion, the Validation flight will provide more accurate and meaningful information and it is free.

BTW, unit is Very easy to install - power, ground, one serial line splitting to both my GRTs and another serial line to the GTN650. Set parameters using Wi-Fi, and unit is good to go - self connects wirelessly to my SL70. WOW!
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

Hi Terry

I am new to this unit. I looked at there install data. Am I understanding correctly that you do not need to mount a new antenna? And there is no hard connection to your transponder?

Steve

Validation flight

Terry, you are not required to do a validation flight unless you want to know if it is working correctly. Go google Public ADSB Performance Report and make your request and a reply will follow shortly. Contact Tech Support, Ryan, if you have any problems.

You are correct in the EchoUAT is not certified so it does not qualify for the rebate.

Last edited:
Forgot about the Antenna

Steve:
There is a dipole or TED antenna included in the kit. Depending on where you mount the unit, you'll need a coax cable (not included) to complete the installation. I mounted my antenna just aft of the firewall and outside of the exhaust. In my 9A tip up, there is a rib running longitudinally, under the glare shield, from the fire wall to the sub panel. My unit is fastened to the rib,
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

I would do performance report if I were you. I installed the Echo unit and it seemed to be working OK but when I did the performance report there was a problem. I sent the report to Ryan at uAvionix and he agreed the unit was bad. They sent me a new unit and the on the next report I passed. Great support from these guys.

Dan
RV-7A

I'd get a performance report, just to get ahead of the game. You know that sooner or later the FAA will start sending out enforcement letters based on failed reports. May as well find and fix issues now.

Performance Flight Accomplished

Did the flight Saturday in mostly IMC conditions using the Class C airspace around nearby KFNT. Climbed to 10,000 in an attempt to get clear of the building cumulus, but that wasn't working, so I tried to keep my movements out of the clouds as much as possible to give me more stability on my altitude and headings. Flint ATC was a big help as they set me up in the North-East quadrant where we had to deal with the fewest traffic conflicts.
Report from the FAA was emailed Sunday and showed no fails. Good to go.
As a side benefit, the validation flight also gave me an opportunity to check out the ADS-B weather coming thru the Echo. The screen showed good agreement with what ATC was describing as areas of moderate to heavy rain. Finally, I set both GRT screens to show traffic at +/- 3,000 from my altitude. I think we have a winner.
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

ps Thanks to the guys at Uavionix for walking me thru the installation and setup.

Back