What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

XP400 and 74RV combination

This is my first post on the forum. I?m building an RV8 with a Showplanes fastback conversion down in Australia. I have selected an Aerosport XP400 to power it and am trying to finalise the propellor. I spoke to the people at Whirlwind about the 74RV but they recommend a 74HRT series prop without giving any supporting information. Does anybody out there have any experience out there with the HRT series props? Does anybody have any information about the XP400 and the 74RV combination? Any information to help make a decision would be much appreciated.

Hi Mike, thanks for the information. It?s not the best news. I haven?t received my engine yet from Aerosport so I might have to get in toch with them. Regards Chris

Chris - The first flight on my airplane was last May and I have just over 100 hours on it.... RV8, Showplanes fastback conversion, XP400, and Whirlwind 74HRT prop.

After some initial troubles that turned out to be the result of an assembly error (cam to crank timing was a tooth off) the engine/prop have performed well though I've always felt there's a bit more vibration than expected. It's been dynamically balanced at 2300 RPM and while fairly smooth there, it's a bit "buzzy" above or below that RPM. Not bad but noticeable.

Regarding the prop, within 5 hours of the first flight, I noticed a "scar" on one of the blades near the spinner prop cutout. As you know, the spinner/prop assembly is fabricated by WW as a pair so I immediately called and discussed the situation and forwarded photos and some accurate measurements of the scar (approximately 2 inches long and not deep enough to cut into the carbon fiber).

WW said this was a non-issue from a structural perspective so with their concurrence I continued to fly. They said to send it back over the winter and they would "0-time" the prop and refinish the effected blade. Due to the XP-400 buy-back, I pulled the prop and engine this weekend and will ship it back soon. I spoke with WW about the slight vibration issue and they indicated they would take a close look at the prop for issues that may cause this (though it may or may not be prop related).

VERY happy with the customer service/support from WW! Also, WW recommends the HRT over the 74RV for engines over 200 hp.

Lastly, regarding the XP-400, they're all subject to the buy-back program and Superior wants them all out of service. I'm working with Barrett on an IO-390 replacement. It will be interesting to see how the 390/74HRT combination compares to the 400/74HRT.

Good luck with the rest of the build!

Chris, thanks very much for the reply. It was very informative and speaking to the people at Aerosport it does look like the 382 and 400 are gone for good. I'm in early discussions with them and possibly leaning towards a 375 hopefully putting out just above 200HP wth a port/polish and an EFII system. It would be nice to fully understand the reasoning why WW would push the HRT over the 74RV but it does seem to be popular. Regarding the build, it's coming along slowly however I'm just about to attach the canopy frame to the fuselage. Regards, Chris

Back